Scott Genius 750 or Scott Genius 940/740?

KalaMonkey
KalaMonkey Posts: 14
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've decided that I am going to upgrade my venerable 2013 Boardman Comp HT to a Full Suss bike.
I've currently got my heart set on a Scott Genius bike, and initially was all set to get the Genius 750, the local bike shop are doing 0% Finance over 3 years. However, I've been looking at the looking at the next model up in the Genius family and have been thinking about the 740. Bearing in mind that my riding is limited to the weekend, the occasional trail ride (which averages out to about once every 6 weeks), more frequently it's trips along the canal towpath. I'd like to ride more trails hence wanting to get the full suss bike and hopefully give me the impetus to ride more trails.

My question is it worth getting the Genius 740/940?
There's a £700 difference, which is mainly down to
* 150mm FOX 34 Float Performance Air Fork instead of a 140mm Rock Shox Recon RL Solo Air Fork
* 150mm FOX Float EVOL Performace Trunnion rear shock instead of a 150mm X-Fusion NUDE Trunnion rear shock
* SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 instead of a Shimano 2x10 (SLX/Deore mix)
I've never ridden with a 1x my old Boardman is 3x7 and my road bike is a 2x

I'm also thinking the 940 instead of the 740. I'm 5"7.5 and a chubby fella would that have an impact on performance?

I'm not stumping the cash up front but plan on paying over the 3 years, the bike will need to last me about 5 years at which point I'll probably have fallen apart or looking at an e-bike.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Can you post links to the 3 bikes?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seems a lot of money for the occasional trail and tow paths.

Especially on long finance.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    cooldad wrote:
    Seems a lot of money for the occasional trail and tow paths.

Especially on long finance.

I was thinking the same thing.

You can get something like a Giant Anthem 2 or Trance 3 (if you want longer travel and slacker angles) for around half the price.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • KalaMonkey
    KalaMonkey Posts: 14
    With regards to cost, it will be a birthday present to self, I'm hitting one of the ones that end in a 0 (hint 40). And I want a decent bike that I will be fit enough to utilise.

I also like the idea of the remote lockouts as I will be trading my old bike in and only have the genius and my road bike at home and wanted something that I could take anywhere so to speak.