Btwin Tribal 520 or Giant Contend 2

mike9281
mike9281 Posts: 2
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Appreciate your probably get a lot of questions from new people on which bike to buy.

After scouring the internet and talking to some cyclists from work I have two bikes I believe i should choose from and given I am using the Cycle to work scheme they will have to be a new one.

My budget is circa £500 and have a choice of the Btwin Tribal 520 at £499 or the Giant Contend 2 at £575.

Would anyone have any recommendations and would it be worth spending the extra £75 on the Giant option.

I can try the Giant bike locally, but would have to make a bit of a trek to try the other.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    mike9281 wrote:
    Appreciate your probably get a lot of questions from new people on which bike to buy.

After scouring the internet and talking to some cyclists from work I have two bikes I believe i should choose from and given I am using the Cycle to work scheme they will have to be a new one.

My budget is circa £500 and have a choice of the Btwin Tribal 520 at £499 or the Giant Contend 2 at £575.

Would anyone have any recommendations and would it be worth spending the extra £75 on the Giant option.

I can try the Giant bike locally, but would have to make a bit of a trek to try the other.

The 520 has a Sora Group set, with a triple Chainset, which can be a bit too ‘soft’ for some people’s liking, but I do have a 520, and I actually quite like it. The Giant isn’t really worth the extra cash IMO. If I were you, I’d go for the Triban, and pay for an 11-30 9 speed cassette, it makes the ride a better experience.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    mike9281 wrote:

The 520 has a Sora Group set, with a triple Chainset, which can be a bit too ‘soft’ for some people’s liking, but I do have a 520, and I actually quite like it. The Giant isn’t really worth the extra cash IMO. If I were you, I’d go for the Triban, and pay for an 11-30 9 speed cassette, it makes the ride a better experience.

How slowly do you have to be going to have a cadence of 40 on a triple with a 30 tooth at the back?

To the OP, both will be fine, choose the one with the best colour.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    ChippyK wrote:
    mike9281 wrote:

How slowly do you have to be going to have a cadence of 40 on a triple with a 30 tooth at the back?

Quicker than you could ever go.