PF30 , what am I doing wrong ?

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Long story but the upshot is , I have removed my FSA adapters and 105 crank set to clean and grease.
Tried putting them back on and even though the shirmano crank arm fixing bolt is tight there is still some slack.
There was a spacer fitted somewhere but after trying several permutations I still cannot get it full tight.
Where does the spacer go ? if i pit it in the adapter BB interface there is a couple of mill gap , if I put it between the crank arm this does not work either.
What is a man to do ?
regardsd
ILG

Comments

  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,541
    http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-FC0003-06-ENG.pdf (may not be the exact manual for your crankset, you can get others on the shimano site)

    see page 17 for spacer 'g', might be that one

    see page 19, how to set the preload before tightening the crankarm bolts
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What exactly do you have as a bottom bracket? Is it PF30 bearings with adapter(s) or is it some kind of PF30 to HT2 conversion kit?

    Picture might help.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ilovegrace wrote:
    What is a man to do ?

    Make careful note of how it comes apart and reassemble in the same way? :wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Svetty wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    What is a man to do ?

    Make careful note of how it comes apart and reassemble in the same way? :wink:

    Which is clearly going to require some kind of time travel in this case. :D

    Since the advent of the camera phone I pathologically photograph everything I take apart on the bike, car or house, just in case I need to know what went where and in which order. Saved my bacon several times that way.

    I'll be doing the same with the wiring in the airing cupboard when I remove the museum piece of a controller which our kn0bhead plumber fitted, and replace it with a Hive.

    At the very least it may enable the coroner to see where I went wrong...
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    keef66 wrote:
    What exactly do you have as a bottom bracket? Is it PF30 bearings with adapter(s) or is it some kind of PF30 to HT2 conversion kit?

    Picture might help.
    Pf30 bearings with fsa adaptors, i thought something dropped of when i took thing apart,!
    Mechanics bike ,car etc are not my stong point unfortunately.
    Thanks for the replies
    ILG
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Quick question, is it a triple crank?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    n+1 problem solved.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    ilovegrace wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    What exactly do you have as a bottom bracket? Is it PF30 bearings with adapter(s) or is it some kind of PF30 to HT2 conversion kit?

    Picture might help.
    Pf30 bearings with fsa adaptors, i thought something dropped of when i took thing apart,!
    Mechanics bike ,car etc are not my stong point unfortunately.
    Thanks for the replies
    ILG

    The FSA adapters are rubbish. Bite the bullet and buy a proper BB to accept your cranks. I wasted enough time using the FSA adapters in a PF30 with 3D24 cranks before conceding defeat and bought a Rotor specific BB to fit my PF BB housing. No more creaking and far smoother.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it worked before you took it to bits and doesn't now, you must've lost a spacer somewhere.

    Didn't think the FSA adapters needed them though...

    My 105 triple in a bog standard HT2 BB has a spacer each side, but they are part of the crankset and fairly chunky
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    That is what I was thinking ie triple crankset spacer.

    https://www.jejamescycles.com/shimano-f ... gL51PD_BwE

    Not sure FSA have them for cranksets, but my Shimano had one
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bumo_b wrote:
    That is what I was thinking ie triple crankset spacer.

    https://www.jejamescycles.com/shimano-f ... gL51PD_BwE

    Not sure FSA have them for cranksets, but my Shimano had one

    My 5603 triple too, and another slightly different one on the drive side, hiding on the spindle behind the spider.

    Think this is a 5800 double though