MBR Forum Ride - Sherwood Pines, Sun 24th June 2018

13»

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Now you will be asking "how the hell does Steve remember all those twists and turns on unmarked off-piste trails?"

It's tricky, I'll give you that! :lol:

I was interested to see your heart tracing, Mr Billy Cool. I used to use the formula max heart rate = 220 minus your age. When I was 56, I had a heart rate monitor and I was interested to see how high I could go. I peaked at 164 and I thought I was about to die. So it sort of works. :D

On that basis, you are only 32!
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Now you will be asking "how the hell does Steve remember all those twists and turns on unmarked off-piste trails?"

It's tricky, I'll give you that! :lol:

I was interested to see your heart tracing, Mr Billy Cool. I used to use the formula max heart rate = 220 minus your age. When I was 56, I had a heart rate monitor and I was interested to see how high I could go. I peaked at 164 and I thought I was about to die. So it sort of works. :D

On that basis, you are only 32!

Ha ha.

220 minus your age is a fairly good guide, albeit not as precise for some people. Some performance athletes reguarly exceed that quite happily.

I'm 45 next month so 176 is mathematically my max. It was slightly higher on Sunday as I ran out of water and was a bit dehydrated. My max heart rate is always a bit higher with thicker blood and heat if I'm working hard.

I have no idea how you even know where we are most of the time. I still think you should print maps.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:
    [............

I'm 45 next month so 176 is mathematically my max. It was slightly higher on Sunday as I ran out of water and was a bit dehydrated. My max heart rate is always a bit higher with thicker blood and heat if I'm working hard.

I have no idea how you even know where we are most of the time. I still think you should print maps.

I ran out of water as I got back to the car, I don't normally cut it that close.

I have a very good visual memory. I can sit down and run through the entire route in my head, fast forwarding where necessary. I can plan a new route in my head from start to finish, then go ride it to see how long it takes!

The Forestry Commission have a map but it is well out of date. They won't be printing new ones until after the red and blue trails have been re-routed (and maybe not even then). I used to use a map containing my own trails, but it too is now out of date following all the various forest clearances. Now that I know where everything is, I don't need a map!
  • Foxynjr
    Foxynjr Posts: 10
    Morning guys

It was nice meeting you all, though I cant remember anyone's name.

Looking forward to the next one, though I'm at Pines every week if anyone fancies a meet up. Sat am and/or wed night

Neil on the Blue Boardman FS
  • 898kor
    898kor Posts: 81
    How is the video editing coming on Billy? Dan wants to see his endo! :lol:
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • steve_sordy
    Damaged my left knee jumping down from a fence at Rother Vallley Country Park last Sunday (not yesterday). I spent all week icing it and generally limping about until it felt OK. Then I went and did the Forum Ride route yesterday. Big mistake, it's worse than before now! I have to get it sorted I'm off to Bike Park Wales in three weeks! Seeing a physio on Wed, fingers crossed! :(
  • billycool
    898kor wrote:

LOL - wierdly, I'm uploading the first one tonight. I've been away for a week and didn't do it before I went away (my BB isn't the quickest so have to do an overnight upload).

#2 video has Dan's `endo` on it (I've even edited it in twice, once in slo-mo). That will follow in another week or so as I'm trying to do too many things at the moment. I think it will be worth the wait!

Steve - sorry to hear that. Rest, ice etc. The good news about BPW is that it's mostly DH and just stick to the blues!

Heal soon.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • 898kor
    BillyCool wrote:
    Heal soon.

Agree
    BillyCool wrote:
    898kor wrote:

LOL - wierdly, I'm uploading the first one tonight. I've been away for a week and didn't do it before I went away (my BB isn't the quickest so have to do an overnight upload).

#2 video has Dan's `endo` on it (I've even edited it in twice, once in slo-mo). That will follow in another week or so as I'm trying to do too many things at the moment. I think it will be worth the wait!

Slo-Mo Now I am really looking forward to it!
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:
    [...............

Steve - sorry to hear that. Rest, ice etc. The good news about BPW is that it's mostly DH and just stick to the blues!

Heal soon.

Yep, its a right bummer. My knees have been slowly fading for a few years now, but I thought I'd got the measure of it. I have hardly ridden the Capra for a while now, in fact it is hardly run in. But I have decided I'm going to sell it. This has been coming for a while now, but I was reluctant to accept that maybe I was getting past it. But 582 miles in three years, come on, its time to get rid! :( If I manage to sell it before BPW, and I'm fit, then the Whyte T130 will do just fine on wherever my almost 11-year old grandson wants to go.

I can see an e-Bike in the future! :lol:
  • billycool
    Video #1

https://youtu.be/yok4paTehPw

Hope it was worth the wait.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • 898kor
    BillyCool wrote:
    Video #1

https://youtu.be/yok4paTehPw

Hope it was worth the wait.

Certainly was, thank you :D
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • steve_sordy
    Well, that was well worth watching!

I see you did your usual trick of mixing up the sequence (to fit the music?) No wonder you can never find your way around! :)

Some bits you have put in twice; one bit was so good you used it four times! But it all looked good to me. :D

I am looking forward to the next bit. :D
  • billycool
    Well, that was well worth watching!

I see you did your usual trick of mixing up the sequence (to fit the music?) No wonder you can never find your way around! :)

Some bits you have put in twice; one bit was so good you used it four times! But it all looked good to me. :D

I am looking forward to the next bit. :D

Steve, I actually put the videos in order this time, based on the GoPro time/date order. This was based on your critique last time! :lol: - so they *should* have linked together, in order. Possibly not. I don't know.

The bit you say I put in 4 times is probably what I called the bike park `old red` down the left. I merged my video and Jon's, so you get it from both perspectives (you can tell who is who by looking at our gloves). There shouldn't be any deliberate duplication. There are also a couple of other bits where I've done that. I was trying to be creative!

I'll try to be more diligent with video #2, but since I've already started it, you'll get what you're given! :shock:
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    That was intended to be constructive feedback, not a complaint! :shock:

Keep the videos coming! :D
  • billycool
    I know! :D

Just wanted to point out it's 2 different riders and not be just me showboating! :lol:
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • billycool
    Finally, it's done:

https://youtu.be/Vf_aD7eWtMY

Hope you enjoy it.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • 898kor
    BillyCool wrote:
    Finally, it's done:

https://youtu.be/Vf_aD7eWtMY

Hope you enjoy it.

AWESOME!

Dan at 2m14s = :lol:

Thank you
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • steve_sordy
    Thanks Billy Cool, that was great. :D

I'm pretty sure that you have been mixing up the sequence again (for dramatic effect only, I'm sure) as I kept getting lost as to where on the trail we were at that time.

The camera continues to flatten the trail, who would have thought that the opening sequence was down a 20' steep descent, with a twist half way down on a sandy surface, and if you got the turn wrong you dropped into 6' of brambles! No wonder not all did it.

Is it possible to take a still from your video? You have some stills embedded and I'd like a copy of one of them if that is possible, it's at 4:03. The drop where that is located is also done no favours by the camera. We had all just shot up a steep climb and peaked at the top, to be faced with a steep trail down and with big root diagonally across your direction of travel. The descent is about 25' and very loose, with a sharp turn at the bottom, or you're in the jungle.

Great stuff Brian. :D
  • steve_sordy
    Who fancies another? Similar, but not exactly the same.

It will be a Sunday in late August, maybe early Sep. I said last time that I would try to ensure that the date did not conflict with the shift patterns of another member who has been trying to come on one of these rides for a few years now. Awaiting his response.
  • billycool
    If anyone wants copies of photos that are in the video, send me a PM with email and I'll ping them over.

They are original size (c.3mb) so good for photos but can be re-sized if needed.

Steve - I'll have to have a look later but think I know which one you want.

Ref the video sequence - I put them in numbered order from my GoPro, so if they are out of sequence my GoPro is to blame. It all looks the same to me!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:

Ref the video sequence - I put them in numbered order from my GoPro, so if they are out of sequence my GoPro is to blame. It all looks the same to me!

It will be me, just not recognising the scenes then. One clump of brambles in a pine forest looks very much like another.

Thanks for the pic (in advance). :)
  • zagora
    zagora Posts: 11
    I've just seen the two videos....awesome and a big thanks to Billy Cool for editing and sharing them. They kept me amused for an hour.....
    I didn't realise Dan had an endo!! Again great bid doing bc.
    I haven't been back to SPines since but thinking of going tomorrow if it's dry.
  • steve_sordy
    Zagora wrote:
    I haven't been back to SPines since but thinking of going tomorrow if it's dry.

According to the weather app, on Monday there is an 80% chance of rain, high humidity, 20kph winds.

https://weather.com/en-GB/weather/tenda ... 7838d8c0b7