New 100mm Air Fork for 26" Wheels

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking for a replacement Air fork for a Specialized Rockhopper. Currently the bike has a 100mm RS Tora 302SL spring fork (12 yrs old), 1/8" steerer, 26" wheels. As a replacement I was previously looking at the Recon or Reba quite a few years back but I see RockShox now have a new naming convention for their forks. I usually ride XC so nothing aggressive, just want to reduce the weight of the bike and fit something a bit more adjustable which I was always led to believe Air gave you over mechanical spring.

What would be a straightforward swap around the £250-£300 mark?
No real need to stick to RockShox, could be any decent brand.

Thanks.
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Suntour Epixon, much cheaper than RS and somewhere around the quality of a Reba.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I really like my epixon, is a really decent improvement over a cheaper coil fork.

You may find you need a special shock pump to adjust it properly for your weight though, unless you get the fork fitted by your local bike shop. They can be picked up second hand for about £15, handy tool to have.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You shouldn’t be using any air suspension AT ALL without a shock pump to set it up properly!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    try ebay and get a good used reba or recon and get it serviced by a bike shop then you'll be good to go.

Most forks now are for tapered headtubes so your probably better going down the 2nd hand route.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I'll take a look at the Suntour forks. Don't worry I have a shock pump, I also have a Trek Fuel EX8 so kind of need it for that anyway!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • mtbstuff
    mtbstuff Posts: 3
    Hi, the fork I'd pick at this price point would be an SR Suntour Epixon. It is an air fork, has a lockout and I believe it has similar performance to a Rockshox Reba. Also, unlike the Recon Silver it has aluminium stanchions rather than steel found on the Recon, which saves weight. If you can afford a Recon Gold, I would only go for that if you want the brand name. But, if you just want performance definitely go for the Epixon. :D