6800 SS rear mech and 30T cassette

Matt Buz
Matt Buz Posts: 4
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Morning all
I have read conflicting info. as to whether or not an 11-30t cassette will work with a 6800 SS rear mech.

Shimano says 28t max. Just wondered if anyone has had success with getting a larger cassette on. Running 34/50 compact on the front.

Many thanks

Matt

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited May 2018
    MF looked into this a couple of days ago but ended up looking at filth so I took over the search.

Anecdotal evidence says that it will work but there is lots of bickering on the anecdotal threads. Some say a 30 goes straight on, some say that you have to put the B screw in back to front, some say something, some say another.

As you say, Shimano say 28 max.

I personally would go with what Shimano say as they may have a clue.

With a 28 and a compact you should be able to ride up Everest.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matt Buz
    Thanks for your beautifully worded reply. I did Park Rash on the 28 today and although it wasn't too bad, I was pondering a slightly easier gear for next week, as I will be hitting it on mile 50 with several more climbs to go.
    More pondering lies ahead
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pleasure to help anytime. It makes a nice change to spend some time helping someone who appreciates it rather than that idiot MF.

You could always lob on a long cage mech and go from there or a MTB mech and go mahooosif rear cassette, but remember chain length and all the associated jazz.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Pleasure to help anytime. It makes a nice change to spend some time helping someone who appreciates it rather than that idiot MF.

You could always lob on a long cage mech and go from there or a MTB mech and go mahooosif rear cassette, but remember chain length and all the associated jazz.

Yes MTB rear mech and massive cassette is what some of the older guys are using to be able to enjoy riding steep or long climbs still.

And nothing’s lost off top speed either
  • Jpf58
    Jpf58 Posts: 2
    I have replaced the 11 - 28 with an 11 - 32 on my 2017 giant TCR with an ultegra 6800 short cage. No other changes...not even b screw.
    The chain is too short to go big big but apart from that it shifts perfectly so far.
  • Matt Buz
    Jpf58 wrote:
    I have replaced the 11 - 28 with an 11 - 32 on my 2017 giant TCR with an ultegra 6800 short cage. No other changes...not even b screw.
    The chain is too short to go big big but apart from that it shifts perfectly so far.

Ok cheers. Might see if I can borrow a mates 32 and get it to quell before purchasing
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Matt Buz wrote:
    I did Park Rash on the 28 today and although it wasn't too bad, I was pondering a slightly easier gear for next week,
    A 28 is fine up there with a 34 inner ring, a bit more of a struggle with a 39 ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ds2288
    ds2288 Posts: 36
    Jpf58 wrote:

Agrred, I've done the same. I needed a slight tweak of the b screw but none of this backwards rubbish. Way I see it, if you are sticking a 32 on the back, its to use with the 34/36 on the front.......that's how I use it anyway.