Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Good cycling cafes near thirsk

k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
edited June 2018 in Road general
Staying in thirsk and having a couple of days on the bike from there. Looking for any good cafes withing 25-40 miles that any locals would recommend. Google throws up a few but would love some recommendations.

Posts

  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,859
    Village shop /tea room at Hawnby, there’s one at Rosedale Abbey on the main road. Penny bank cafe Kirkbymoorside. National park centre at top of Sutton bank.
  • trekvettrekvet Posts: 220
    See Cafe Network http://www.cafenetwork.info/
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • ilovegraceilovegrace Posts: 667
    Bedlam grange Helmsley
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Will have a look at them. Any others to the west of thirsk. Thinking ine day riding west and the other east.
  • sandyballssandyballs Posts: 577
    Head over to the market square at Masham, visit the cafe in the square or Black sheep brewery, they have a good cycle clothing selection as well as the obvious good brew.
  • svettysvetty Posts: 1,904
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Beadlam Grange Helmsley
    FIFY ;) A lovely farm shop with quality produce.

    The cafe in the centre of Thirsk was excellent - used to be run by a French owner IIRC. Not sure if it still is as I've not been in for a couple of years.

    West of Thirsk Johnny Baghdad's in Masham is decent. Oliver's Pantry in Ripon also, Posthorn in Leyburn.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Svetty wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Beadlam Grange Helmsley
    FIFY ;) A lovely farm shop with quality produce.

    The cafe in the centre of Thirsk was excellent - used to be run by a French owner IIRC. Not sure if it still is as I've not been in for a couple of years.

    West of Thirsk Johnny Baghdad's in Masham is decent. Oliver's Pantry in Ripon also, Posthorn in Leyburn.....
    Second Johnny Baghdads in Masham, Roots in East Rounton gets lots of cyclists decent, Ellerton tea rooms near Scorton has a bike shop upstairs but the coffee in the cafe is diabolical, lots of good routes cafes around Boroughbridge/Easingwold area as well!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    Stopped at Wolds Village on the way to Thirsk doing London to Edinburgh a few weeks back, it was rather nice.
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Svetty wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Beadlam Grange Helmsley
    FIFY ;) A lovely farm shop with quality produce.

    The cafe in the centre of Thirsk was excellent - used to be run by a French owner IIRC. Not sure if it still is as I've not been in for a couple of years.

    West of Thirsk Johnny Baghdad's in Masham is decent. Oliver's Pantry in Ripon also, Posthorn in Leyburn.....
    Second Johnny Baghdads in Masham, Roots in East Rounton gets lots of cyclists decent, Ellerton tea rooms near Scorton has a bike shop upstairs but the coffee in the cafe is diabolical, lots of good routes cafes around Boroughbridge/Easingwold area as well!

    Will try the one in masham. The ones to north are on my patch anyway. Although i wouldnt recommend roots myself.

    Any around easingwold worth trying?
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Beadlam Grange Helmsley
    FIFY ;) A lovely farm shop with quality produce.

    The cafe in the centre of Thirsk was excellent - used to be run by a French owner IIRC. Not sure if it still is as I've not been in for a couple of years.

    West of Thirsk Johnny Baghdad's in Masham is decent. Oliver's Pantry in Ripon also, Posthorn in Leyburn.....
    Second Johnny Baghdads in Masham, Roots in East Rounton gets lots of cyclists decent, Ellerton tea rooms near Scorton has a bike shop upstairs but the coffee in the cafe is diabolical, lots of good routes cafes around Boroughbridge/Easingwold area as well!

    Will try the one in masham. The ones to north are on my patch anyway. Although i wouldnt recommend roots myself.

    Any around easingwold worth trying?
    I'd say the thing that makes a decent cafe is the route you take to get to it, no point in a shoot route for a decent coffee, Easingwold has he benefit of a hilly and/or a flat route to get to it, there's a couple in the main square, look for the one with the most bikes outside :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • svettysvetty Posts: 1,904
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    Any around easingwold worth trying?

    Crayke Farm Shop cafe is run by a Dutch chap and specialises in crepes. Savoury as well as sweet. The cafes in Easingwold are OK, just not amazing.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Ricky hRicky h Posts: 119
    From Thirsk, there's a nice run to Sherrif Hutton via Kilburn, Coxwold, Brandsby and Whenby, about 20 miles. Quarmbys in Sherrif Hutton is a popular cycling cafe (has a pump etc).
    I'd also suggest heading to Felixkirk, up Boltby bank, old byland, Rievaulx and into Helmsley which is full of team rooms/cafes. From Helmsley there's a stunning loop up the Carlton road up to Cockayne and back to Fadmoor (where I could deviate to Rosedale) or head back via Wombleton and Harome and take in the farm shop at Beadlam. Best staying off the A170 as much as possible, a fast, busy road.
    Enjoy
  • rob13rob13 Posts: 430
    Rusty bike cafe at Swainby. You could ride up from Thirsk via Boltby bank, over Snilesworth to Osmotherley and down Scarth Nick into Swainby. After a cafe stop, you can come back via East Rounton and Northallerton before heading into Thirsk.
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Rob13 wrote:
    Rusty bike cafe at Swainby. You could ride up from Thirsk via Boltby bank, over Snilesworth to Osmotherley and down Scarth Nick into Swainby. After a cafe stop, you can come back via East Rounton and Northallerton before heading into Thirsk.

    Nice choice with rusty bike cafe. Its oje of my regulars though so wont be heading in that direction.
  • thefogthefog Posts: 197
    Curious Table at Easingwold is a cracking cafe. Good coffee from York Coffee Emporium. A regular run for our club.

    Oliver’s Pantry at Ripon

    Ampleforth Abbey has a good team room/ coffee shop

    Quarmbys at Sheriff Hutton

    Black mulberry Knaresborough

    Host of good coffee shops at Harrogate - Horton north, LMDC, bean and bud, baltherzens, prologue cycle shop/ cafe, starling independent,north bar social

    Hampsthwaite - Sophie’s
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    TheFog wrote:
    Curious Table at Easingwold is a cracking cafe. Good coffee from York Coffee Emporium. A regular run for our club.

    Oliver’s Pantry at Ripon

    Ampleforth Abbey has a good team room/ coffee shop

    Quarmbys at Sheriff Hutton

    Black mulberry Knaresborough

    Host of good coffee shops at Harrogate - Horton north, LMDC, bean and bud, baltherzens, prologue cycle shop/ cafe, starling independent,north bar social

    Hampsthwaite - Sophie’s

    Will check a few out before making a couple of routes. Thanks very much.

    Anyone suggest a decent circular route from thirsk. Looking at between 60 and 75 miles.
  • sandyballssandyballs Posts: 577
    Follow the Daffodil Ride route which starts and finishes at the cattle auction, rode it a couple of years back. Medium route is 77mile.

    https://velo29events.com/sportives/daffodils-sportive/daffodils-medium/
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Ricky h wrote:
    From Thirsk, there's a nice run to Sherrif Hutton via Kilburn, Coxwold, Brandsby and Whenby, about 20 miles. Quarmbys in Sherrif Hutton is a popular cycling cafe (has a pump etc).
    I'd also suggest heading to Felixkirk, up Boltby bank, old byland, Rievaulx and into Helmsley which is full of team rooms/cafes. From Helmsley there's a stunning loop up the Carlton road up to Cockayne and back to Fadmoor (where I could deviate to Rosedale) or head back via Wombleton and Harome and take in the farm shop at Beadlam. Best staying off the A170 as much as possible, a fast, busy road.
    Enjoy

    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27664125

    How does this route look? Planned as best as i could but some local knowledge of the area might help if theres roads ive routed best avoided or if im missing out on some better roads.

    Also planned this route for saturday


    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27658459
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,859
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    Ricky h wrote:
    From Thirsk, there's a nice run to Sherrif Hutton via Kilburn, Coxwold, Brandsby and Whenby, about 20 miles. Quarmbys in Sherrif Hutton is a popular cycling cafe (has a pump etc).
    I'd also suggest heading to Felixkirk, up Boltby bank, old byland, Rievaulx and into Helmsley which is full of team rooms/cafes. From Helmsley there's a stunning loop up the Carlton road up to Cockayne and back to Fadmoor (where I could deviate to Rosedale) or head back via Wombleton and Harome and take in the farm shop at Beadlam. Best staying off the A170 as much as possible, a fast, busy road.
    Enjoy

    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27664125

    How does this route look? Planned as best as i could but some local knowledge of the area might help if theres roads ive routed best avoided or if im missing out on some better roads.

    Also planned this route for saturday


    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27658459
    The first route looks a good way of avoiding most of the hills other than Bulmar bank and the only busy bit will be Malton.
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Webboo wrote:
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    Ricky h wrote:
    From Thirsk, there's a nice run to Sherrif Hutton via Kilburn, Coxwold, Brandsby and Whenby, about 20 miles. Quarmbys in Sherrif Hutton is a popular cycling cafe (has a pump etc).
    I'd also suggest heading to Felixkirk, up Boltby bank, old byland, Rievaulx and into Helmsley which is full of team rooms/cafes. From Helmsley there's a stunning loop up the Carlton road up to Cockayne and back to Fadmoor (where I could deviate to Rosedale) or head back via Wombleton and Harome and take in the farm shop at Beadlam. Best staying off the A170 as much as possible, a fast, busy road.
    Enjoy



    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27664125

    How does this route look? Planned as best as i could but some local knowledge of the area might help if theres roads ive routed best avoided or if im missing out on some better roads.

    Also planned this route for saturday


    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27658459
    The first route looks a good way of avoiding most of the hills other than Bulmar bank and the only busy bit will be Malton.

    Thats sort of intentional. My old man who im riding with doesnt like the hills. Tried my best to avoid any where he mght struggle. Noticed bulmar bank when plotting. Anything to worry about?
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,859
    I think it’s about 1 in 6 or 1 in 5. There is a short steep bit out of Ampleforth again about 1 in 6 but it’s only 2 or 300 metres.
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Webboo wrote:
    I think it’s about 1 in 6 or 1 in 5. There is a short steep bit out of Ampleforth again about 1 in 6 but it’s only 2 or 300 metres.

    Thats not too bad. Just hope weathers kind tomorrow. Looks ok so far.
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,859
    Back wind home if forecast is correct.
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,997
    Bulmer Bank shouldn't be anything to worry about and you get a nice rest afterwards, on the road to The Stray.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Bulmer Bank shouldn't be anything to worry about and you get a nice rest afterwards, on the road to The Stray.

    Yes bulmer bank was fine. Where as the stray was a lovely road spoilt by bad drivers in a rush. As was the helmsley b-road. Ironic really as i use it near stokesley and it bad there but worse on way to oswaldkirk.

    Good day though but very hot and humid. Decent cafe at quarmbys too.
  • Ricky hRicky h Posts: 119
    Apologies for the delay getting back to you but I was 'away and unplugged".
    The stray is a bit ropey, too many people going too fast on a straight road. To avoid it, go left after bulmer , through ganthorpe (towards terrington) then right.
    Not much you can do about a short spell on the b1257 unfortunately. Looks like you had a good day for it and glad you liked quarmbys
Sign In or Register to comment.