Price depreciation

garrynolan
garrynolan Posts: 560
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all, just looking advice from my Ireland based friends... Seen a bike that was €900 new but is now 1 year old. Good condition so wondering what would be fair price to pay? Any advice please... Garry.
Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
exercise.png

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Half price and dropping depending on exact condition.

Standard depreciation for a bicycle.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    For a $5000 dollar bike, I'd pay $3500-4000 one year old if it's in excellent condition. But for a bike that's less than $1000 new, I'm not paying more than half. You can check with https://www.bicyclebluebook.com it's a good price estimator, though it doesn't cover every brand.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Andymaxy wrote:
    For a $5000 dollar bike, I'd pay $3500-4000 one year old if it's in excellent condition. But for a bike that's less than $1000 new, I'm not paying more than half. You can check with https://www.bicyclebluebook.com it's a good price estimator, though it doesn't cover every brand.

How the hell Bianchi infinito CV that i own is cheaper on the newer versions than the older??
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Half price and dropping depending on exact condition.

Standard depreciation for a bicycle.

I am not sure there is such a thing as standard depreciation on a bike - looking at second hand prices on ebay (very much dependent on how much somebody is prepared to pay).
    One thing for sure is that bikes do drop a lot in value after one year.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Look at eBay. For certain more popular bikes there tends to be a price floor but I’d say that applies more to carbon framed bikes (or popular models/brands) that are more desirable to a lot of buyers.

You also have to consider that £900 rrp last year might be £1100 rep this year if the price has gone up.. so provided the frame hasn’t been updated you’ll be paying relative to £1100 not £900.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    The one I don't understand is Boardman Team Carbons. Routinely sold for £800-£900 by Halfords. Half the world must buy them on Ride2Work and a huge slug of those people never use them. The second hand market should be flooded with them at stupidly low prices, especially considering they're costing most buyers £500 net. They still seem to go for reasonable amounts on ebay which is odd.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    The one I don't understand is Boardman Team Carbons. Routinely sold for £800-£900 by Halfords. Half the world must buy them on Ride2Work and a huge slug of those people never use them. The second hand market should be flooded with them at stupidly low prices, especially considering they're costing most buyers £500 net. They still seem to go for reasonable amounts on ebay which is odd.

I think because they get recommended as a good first quality bike so the demand is quite high. Ironically they get recommended as they are good value new but it sounds like maybe not such value 2nd hand.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]