New Commute Bike Needed

statman1960
statman1960 Posts: 2
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
So, my company didn't renew our office lease and now I have to commute to one of our other locations which is twice as far as my old one. Plus, the new commute will be over some rough roads about 25% of the time. So my commute is now 25 miles one way. The frame on my old Trek DS commute hybrid cracked a couple of weeks ago. Trek is giving me a very nice credit but it has to be applied to a Trek bike. Based on specs alone I have narrowed it down to a Domane SL Disc (5 or 6), Emonda SL6 Disc, or a Checkpoint SL5. I've decided to go with a nice light road bike because of my long commute, and I was worried about comfort. I plan to put fenders and rack on, and based on what I know, the Emonda is not equipped with any fender or rack mounts, so it might be out. I don't do a lot of off-road, so I'm also thinking the Checkpoint might not be the answer. I'm leaning towards the Domane SL Disc because it's light and has the front and back ISOspeed . Question is if the move up to the Ultegra groupset and higher end wheels are worth the additional $1000 for the Domane SL6 Disc vs the SL5 Disc. Anyone have input?

Comments

• Gavinus
    Gavinus Posts: 14
    I didn't think that the Domane range bikes have rack mounts. This would limit you to the Checkpoint from your list which would ride pretty similar to the Domane and you can just pop on a 25mm or 28mm road tyre if you don't like the 35mm it comes with.

Whether the extra money for the Ultegra is worth it depends on your aesthetic preference and how well you think your hands can cope with the bulbous RS505 levers. I have a gravel bike with the new Ultegra discs on and the levers are much smaller than the previous RS685 levers.