Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Good time to go for a ride tomorrow?

bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
edited May 2018 in Road general
I figure that with the wedding going on, and everyone and their dogs glued to their TVs, the roads are likely to be very, very quiet. I'm not that interested in the modern Royal family (I'm more interested in the shenanigans of their ancestors because I'm a history buff), so I'm thinking it would be a good time to get out on the bike.

Posts

  • 5am
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,828
    Don’t order anything from Merlin, all the staff have been invited to the wedding for exemplary service in the online cycle retail field.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    I read on the internet that Merlin are the best company ever.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    yes Im going for a very long ride tomorrow
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,749
    08:00-13:00. Then lunch, wine, cheese etc and the Zoncolan.
    Fall asleep in front of the football. If Carlsberg did Saturdays...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Or just wait until Engerland are playing their world cup matches. You get a better class of driver around then for some reason.
  • shortfallshortfall Posts: 3,287
    Wow! I went out for a couple of hours on the bike this afternoon and the roads were deserted. Absolutely brilliant. I'm just bemused that so many people give a censored about watching the Royal wedding on tele.
  • kajjalkajjal Posts: 3,380
    Not road biking but just come back from a couple of hours mountain biking locally and loads of people about. To be fair mainly at the pubs by the canal side :)
  • chrisaonabikechrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Shortfall wrote:
    I'm just bemused that so many people give a censored about watching the Royal wedding on tele.
    Peasant! :wink:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    Maybe I should gone out this afternoon then, because I went out for a few hours this morning and there still seemed to plenty of cars about. I prefer to go out in the morning though.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,749
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Maybe I should gone out this afternoon then, because I went out for a few hours this morning and there still seemed to plenty of cars about. I prefer to go out in the morning though.
    Must admit to traffic being as normal this morning, with extra added cyclists.
    As I got nearer home after 13:00 it was much quieter than usual. Anyone know why? :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2008joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    PBlakeney wrote:
    08:00-13:00. Then lunch, wine, cheese etc and the Zoncolan.
    Fall asleep in front of the football. If Carlsberg did Saturdays...

    You'd not be drinking wine
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Maybe I should gone out this afternoon then, because I went out for a few hours this morning and there still seemed to plenty of cars about. I prefer to go out in the morning though.
    Must admit to traffic being as normal this morning, with extra added cyclists.
    As I got nearer home after 13:00 it was much quieter than usual. Anyone know why? :wink:

    The TV coverage started around 9 something though, And I neared home around half twelve, and there is a point where I need to get across an A road that runs through my town, it was still very busy.

    Oh well, I still got my ride in.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,749
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    08:00-13:00. Then lunch, wine, cheese etc and the Zoncolan.
    Fall asleep in front of the football. If Carlsberg did Saturdays...

    You'd not be drinking wine
    There is that. But as the sun was shining I was in the garden drinking lager.
    It wasn't Carlsberg though, obviously, as I have taste, so your point does still stand. :wink:

    PS- Obviously didn't drink enough as I am still awake. Single malt time...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Maybe I should gone out this afternoon then, because I went out for a few hours this morning and there still seemed to plenty of cars about. I prefer to go out in the morning though.

    certainly on some of the roads I went on today I was thinking if this is quiet Id hate to experience busy, but I tend to ride only Sundays at the weekend normally, and actually for the most part it totally felt like a Sunday level of traffic, and certainly in the afternoon I dont know if everyone forgot the FA cup started at 5pm not 3pm, but it was eerily quiet in some spots,one of the cafe spots I normally stop at, actually thought the place had shut for the day it was that quiet, though certainly more cyclists around in the afternoon than Im used to seeing, so it looks like we all had the same idea :)
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    I saw a few other cyclists out and about too, but then I usually do. Most of the distance I cover on my rides is in open countryside, so that helps.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    I figure that with the wedding going on, and everyone and their dogs glued to their TVs, the roads are likely to be very, very quiet.

    As it was such a nice sunny Saturday, it was the complete opposite, the roads to the coast had very heavy traffic and most people I saw in pubs were there for the FA Cup final.

    Ive no idea what gave you the impression "everyone and their dog" gives a fcuk. Maybe its the utter bulls*t that the mainstream media try to ram down our throats?

    I heard there were more spectators lining the road up the Zoncolan watching todays stage of the Giro, than outside the wedding.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • N0bodyOfTheGoatN0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 4,669
    Did a ~47-miler around a few cat4s in the Warnford area of the South Downs yesterday afternoon, starting around 1620, I think I passed less than ~30 moving cars all ride! :eek:

    Absolute bliss. 8)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I figure that with the wedding going on, and everyone and their dogs glued to their TVs, the roads are likely to be very, very quiet.

    As it was such a nice sunny Saturday, it was the complete opposite, the roads to the coast had very heavy traffic and most people I saw in pubs were there for the FA Cup final.

    Ive no idea what gave you the impression "everyone and their dog" gives a fcuk. Maybe its the utter bulls*t that the mainstream media try to ram down our throats?

    I heard there were more spectators lining the road up the Zoncolan watching todays stage of the Giro, than outside the wedding.

    Id agree most of the people in the pubs were there for the FA cup not the wedding, though starting drinking at 1pm seemed optimistic given ko time thesedays, but yeah I headed to the coast, and thought alot of the roads were busy, but thinking about it later when I rode back and could probably have counted the number of cars that passed me on my hands, for a Saturday given the weather it was pretty quiet actually I bet if the weathers the same next weekend and you do the same route youll find double if not triple the amount of traffic
Sign In or Register to comment.