Fizik Carbon Rails

mrpbennett
mrpbennett Posts: 102
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
I have just bought a Fizik R1 Aliante but just learnt the rails are different sizes from the steel / ally ones.

I have a Giant TCR 2 Composite, the seat clamp looks like the perfect fit with the old saddle (non carbon rails) will I have a problem fitting the new saddle? Do i have to get a new seat post ? urgh!!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm not familiar with Giants or TCRs but I know that some seatclamps have swappable bits to accommodate the wider, ovalised carbon rails.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Generally speaking, carbon rails are ovalised so that they are taller than they are wide.

Usually this means that so long as the seatpost clamps the rails from above and below, because the width is the same as standard steel saddle rails, they should be fine.

With seatposts that clamp from either side, you'll need to replace the bit that clamps them with one suited for ovalised rails, or replace the seatpost.

Bottom line, it's your very expensive saddle, so I suggest you fit it with a good degree of caution and consult the manufacturers of both the saddle and your bike if in any doubt at all.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Why carbon saddle rails ?
  • timothyw
    Lighter, more 'bling', allegedly more comfy I'd guess.

I've also heard that titanium rails can get a bit snappy so carbon is actually preferable there, although that is also rather anecdotal.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ti is definitely snappy - as my broken TI Flite will testify. I wonder what the weight is between carbon and alloy though ?

I do like carbon but I know it doesnt like any sharp edges and you'd have what - eight to worry about on a normal saddle clamp ?
  • timothyw
    I don't think you get aluminium saddle rails, which is what Alloy usually refers to - generally they're made of CrMo Steel.

It'll vary between saddles, but generally saving to be had is around 40g for swapping to carbon rails, all else being equal.
  • mrpbennett
    mrpbennett Posts: 102
    Thanks for the replies guys, i went into Giant today. They said the seat clamp wouldnt fit ideally. I have ordered an old propel seat clamp (due to the aero seatpost) They said that should fit.

I went for carbon rails, because i went for the top of the line Fizik saddle. Since i have started to upgrade my bike, I have become a bit of a weight obsessed being.

I have some bars and stem to get fitted, once the bike is complete ill upload a photo in the pics section.