Bl00dy chippings

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited May 2018 in Road general
If you are riding in Mid Wales over the next few days/weeks check the roadworks website before planning your route as it is apparently road chipping season and large sections of highway are currently being done. :evil:

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    They are not chippings but surface dressing, as was pointed out to me by our local council when I asked they advertise sections being done!

They did have a website with the plans on it though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Last year I got to the top of the Hirnant pass to find an inch deep of loose gravel on the descent to Lake Vyrnwy... not nice.

Doing BCM 600 this weekend, but they use A and B roads, so should be fine chipping-wise
    left the forum March 2023
  • redvision
    Navrig2 wrote:
    They are not chippings but surface dressing, as was pointed out to me by our local council when I asked they advertise sections being done!

They did have a website with the plans on it though.

Actually I have just been advised not all local authorities list 'surface dressing' (aka bl00dy chippings) on their website or the roadworks website. So ignore my previous comment of checking your route before setting off.
    In Mid Wales there was no advertisement of the chippings they have put down (A488).
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    It's definitely that time of year, some of my local Sussex roads are no-go areas for a week after that crap has been laid down...
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    But what do all those loose chippings actually do for the long term benefit of the road, besides scratch/dent vehicle bodywork and risk us cyclists washing out?

I loved the cars that passed me the other week on Wheely Down Farm Lane, which had said chippings. Despite millions of 10mph signs both ways, car drivers whizzed past me at easily 40+ and I expected to have a chipping or two fly into my glasses or even my temple. :evil:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, had that the other day, took the scenic route, tapping out 25mph, signs everywhere saying caution, skid risk, 20mph maximum, cars merrily passing me at 40mph.

Road was still bumpy as anything too, ignoring all the gravel that was laid on top of it.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    That's fine, no one will be riding tomorrow because of the royal wedding.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Dinyull wrote:
    That's fine, no one will be riding tomorrow because of the royal wedding.
    I am expecting the precise opposite to be true.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Will you be checking your sarcasm meter? Reading seems out.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    TimothyW wrote:
    Yeah, had that the other day, took the scenic route, tapping out 25mph, signs everywhere saying caution, skid risk, 20mph maximum, cars merrily passing me at 40mph.

Road was still bumpy as anything too, ignoring all the gravel that was laid on top of it.

So you were doing 25 despite the signs saying 20, bit hypocritical calling the motorists out for doing over 20!
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Last year I got to the top of the Hirnant pass to find an inch deep of loose gravel on the descent to Lake Vyrnwy... not nice.

Doing BCM 600 this weekend, but they use A and B roads, so should be fine chipping-wise
    Ugo is that 600 km?
  • ugo.santalucia
    solboy10 wrote:

Ugo is that 600 km?

This year the route is "only" 597 km... there have been years when it went over-distance at 627 km

Piece of cake... :lol: Sort of... :shock:
  • pblakeney
    Dinyull wrote:
    Will you be checking your sarcasm meter? Reading seems out.
    Too subtle.
    We are mostly men here. Subtlety doesn’t work, hints don’t work... :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    DaveP1 wrote:
    It's definitely that time of year, some of my local Sussex roads are no-go areas for a week after that crap has been laid down...

Yep, sure is the season for pointless attempts at road repairs in Sussex. All my little favourite routes are destroyed at the moment.

I need to live on the continent
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    But what do all those loose chippings actually do for the long term benefit of the road, besides scratch/dent vehicle bodywork and risk us cyclists washing out?

I loved the cars that passed me the other week on Wheely Down Farm Lane, which had said chippings. Despite millions of 10mph signs both ways, car drivers whizzed past me at easily 40+ and I expected to have a chipping or two fly into my glasses or even my temple. :evil:

if its done properly it seals the surface of the road and prevents more potholes forming, you are basically covering the road in a layer of tar, and the chippings surface as Im sure we are all aware as cyclists, is then alot grippier, so becomes almost anti skid,and you dont get as much aqua planing as the contact point with car tyres isnt as smooth, and its quick and cheaper and lasts 5-10 years if you are lucky.

the problem is other than main A roads, it tends to not be done that properly anymore, blame outsourcing to contractors quoting lowest cost or something I dont know, but if you are ending up on roads where theres more than a few loose chippings, and yes Ive encountered it where its felt more like riding on a pebbled beach or had to ride in tyre tracks as there has been literally mounds of the stuff forming, its not been done properly at all.
  • pblakeney
    5-10 years? Ha ha ha ha ha ha .
    Pauses.
    Ha ha ha ha ha. More like 5-10 months.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ugo.santalucia
    No chippings to report, only magnificent views of sea and mountains, painful saddle sores and twat bikers

https://www.strava.com/activities/1584821257
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Did a loop from Cambridge, Essex and Suffolk and while my routes weren't affected, there were loads of side roads which have all been redressed. Looks horrendous.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No chippings to report, only magnificent views of sea and mountains, painful saddle sores and fool bikers

Bloody hell! That's a pretty impressive way to avoid the royal wedding coverage :shock: You typing standing up??
  • redvision
    awavey wrote:

if its done properly it seals the surface of the road and prevents more potholes forming, you are basically covering the road in a layer of tar, and the chippings surface as Im sure we are all aware as cyclists, is then alot grippier, so becomes almost anti skid,and you dont get as much aqua planing as the contact point with car tyres isnt as smooth, and its quick and cheaper and lasts 5-10 years if you are lucky.

the problem is other than main A roads, it tends to not be done that properly anymore, blame outsourcing to contractors quoting lowest cost or something I dont know, but if you are ending up on roads where theres more than a few loose chippings, and yes Ive encountered it where its felt more like riding on a pebbled beach or had to ride in tyre tracks as there has been literally mounds of the stuff forming, its not been done properly at all.

I have had a response to my enquiry and it states:
    'the surface dressing currently being applied to the roads in question will provide an extra 3 years of road life....this is common practice for local authorities'.
  • ugo.santalucia
    keef66 wrote:
    No chippings to report, only magnificent views of sea and mountains, painful saddle sores and fool bikers

Bloody hell! That's a pretty impressive way to avoid the royal wedding coverage :shock: You typing standing up??

Ha ha, no, I actually cycled into work this morning... still a bit sore, but not too bad :wink:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    PBlakeney wrote:
    5-10 years? Ha ha ha ha ha ha .
    Pauses.
    Ha ha ha ha ha. More like 5-10 months.

youll note the key words were "done properly" wont you :)

if it hasnt lasted more than a year, then it was a botched rushed job, its that simple really
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    redvision wrote:
    I have had a response to my enquiry and it states:
    'the surface dressing currently being applied to the roads in question will provide an extra 3 years of road life....this is common practice for local authorities'.
    Unless there is a lot of traffic to hammer in the chippings, it will reduce grip for 6-12 months until all the loose gravel has gone. By that time all the underlying potholes will have come through and it will be just like it was before.
    The local authority will then be scratching their head as to why it's only lasted a few months instead of the 10+ years they were expecting. Then they will do the same thing again on other roads and the cycle continues :mrgreen: