Forks on 29er?

bobbydigital
bobbydigital Posts: 254
edited May 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
As ever, more questions.

I have a 29er inbred to build up and not really many fork options used out there, unless I want to pay the big monies.
I have seen set of 80mm forks, Manitou Minute ones but thought 80mm was a thing of the past but I would use it mainly for messing around in the local woods, bit of road riding, nothing extreme, just seems a bit old hat going back to 80mm. . .

The other option is the exotic or on one carbon rigid forks and the inbred frame does seem weighty so maybe that's a better option.

Give the choice, 80mm, carbon rigids or keep waiting for something else to pop up, rebas 100mm+ etc?

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    You do not quantify by what you mean by big monies.
    Is that 50p pence , 50 pounds or 500 pounds?
    Wait for 100mm rockshox or fox forks to turn up. Be aware that current forks tend to be for tapered steerer and 15mm maxle, if you require different, then the wait may be longer.
  • bobbydigital
    Yeah I need straight steerer and my 29er wheels are QR which is seems less common now but I can lace up a axel hub to the wheel if needed, I have a slx m678 15mm axle hub around.

It's just a little build, I wouldn't to sink too much money in to it as I don't think an inbred 29er is worth much I just wanted to try a steel 29er, so probably £150+ would be out of my ideals.

The Manitou Minute are straight steerer with qr but 1.7kg seems heavy.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On eBay you’ll be paying about £80-120 for some good enough to use forks for a 29er, you could go rigid as you say.

As for the inbred frame not feeling that heavy......hmmm, compared to what, a car?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bobbydigital
    The Rookie wrote:
    On eBay you’ll be paying about £80-120 for some good enough to use forks for a 29er, you could go rigid as you say.

As for the inbred frame not feeling that heavy......hmmm, compared to what, a car?

"the inbred frame does seem weighty" The frame feels like a tank to be fair, I will try not to eat so many biscuits.

I don't mind those prices, I was watching reba 100mm but they went for £170 + postage.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry missed read that as ‘doesn’t’!

You can think laterally, I bought some 26” revelations and a 29” lower and converted it, with a full service and the sale of the 26” lowers they ended up costing me about £110 ready to fit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bobbydigital
    I have found some Surly forks so will see how things go and I'll keep my eye open for some 29 lowers in the meantime.

I've never removed lowers from forks but one day I will have to learn to service them, maybe it's why the rigid fork seems appealing for me and my style of riding.