Giro 2018 Stage 13: Ferrara - Nervesa della Battaglia, 180kms *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
edited May 2018 in Pro race
Giro 2018 Stage 13: Ferrara - Nervesa della Battaglia Friday, 18 May 2018

At 180 kilometres, stage 13 in the Giro d'Italia travels from Ferrara to Nervesa della Battaglia. Fast finishers must be pleased as the route is predominantly flat.
Predominantly, yes. The only hurdle lies near arrival place Nervesa della Battaglia. Just after passing through town the road starts to climb up the Montello, although ‘climb’ is too strong a word. A 3.5 kilometres section at 2.7% runs to a flat descent of 4.5 kilometres before the last 2.9 kilometres go up at 3.9%.
stage-13-montello.jpg
Once over the ‘top’ the remaining distance is 20 kilometres. The first half is on descent and the final run-in to the line is as flat as a pancake.
The 13th stage of the Giro d’Italia starts in Ferrara, capital of the province with the same name. Michele Ferrari was born here, the infamous sports doctor, who was banned for life for doping the likes of Armstrong and Vinokourov. He is now imprisoned for supplying EPO to a biathlete.
The route is not as high-profile as Ferrari (once was). The riders race a flat route, pass west of Venice after almost 100 kilometres, and enter the local round with 30 kilometres remaining.

Profile:-
G18_T13_NervesaDB_alt_jpg.jpg

Map:-
map-13.jpg

Finish:-
G18_T13_NervesaDB_ukm_jpg.jpg
G18_T13_NervesaBattaglia_ARR_jpg.jpg

FERRARA

Ferrara is located between the Po Valley and the Sea, and is included in the UNESCO World Heritage site list along with the Po Delta. It features an almost intact medieval and Renaissance city centre that, with its special atmosphere, makes it a much appreciated tourism destination.
MAIN SIGHTS
The old town (UNESCO World Heritage), Castello Estense (the Este Castle, 14th century), Mura di Ferrara (the city fortification, Middle Ages), Cattedrale di San Giorgio (12th century), Palazzo Municipale (the Town Hall, 13th century), Quadrivio degli Angeli (with Palazzo dei Diamanti, Palazzo Turchi di Bagno, Palazzo Prosperi-Sacrati; 15th-16th century), Prospettiva di Corso Giovecca (18th century).
Population: 132,000
Foundation: 6th century
Ancient name: Forum Alieni

Ferrara_1.jpg

Torta Tenerina
torta-tenerina-1-620x412.jpg

Bosco Eliceo Fortana, vino DOC
275-1024x682.jpg

NERVESA DELLA BATTAGLIA
The area around Nervesa della Battaglia offers visitors a wealth of history, art and nature. It features such culturally and historically important sites as Saint Eustache Abbey, the many splendid villas built in centuries past by the Venetian nobility, and its numerous Great War monuments and memorials, like the Sacrario Militare War Memorial and the Sepulchral Chapel devoted to the memory of Italian fighter pilot, Major Francesco Baracca.
Nervesa has been home to painters and artists such as Tiepolo, Titian and Caravaggio, as well as scholars and writers such as Gaspara Stampa and Monsignor Giovanni della Casa, author of the famous Rules of Etiquette, in Italian the Galateo, overo de’ costumi.
The Montello offers scenic routes and trails for cycling enthusiasts and nature lovers, fascinating cave excursions, and a wide variety of local food and wine itineraries. Flanked by the Piave, the river Sacred to the Homeland, Nervesa’s strategic position meant that it was on the front lines for much of the First World War, thus ensuring forever its place in history.
MAIN SIGHTS
Sacrario del Montello (war memorial), the ancient fluvial port (Roman age), Fondazione Jonathan Collection (aerospace museum), Abbazia di Sant’Eustachio (11th century).

Population: 6,700
Foundation: Roman age
Ancient name: Nervisia

107635249.jpg

Almost everybody's favourite tipple, these days.

loredan-gasparin-colli-asolani-prosecco-brut-superiore-magnum-1188572-s264.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Wow, that's going to be the most exciting stage of the race, no question about it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Main local food in Ferrara is pumpkin ravioli.

Also, of course, lots of Lambrusco.

There’s a serious Romanesque cathedral there.

Padua, which if goes past is lovely; rather Bologna like with lots of pretty portico’d streets. Feels rather well to do to boot.

Food all over that area is outstanding and the local white is lovely & underrated. Obviously up in the Veneto the food & wine is more obvious.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Vicenza...home of Campagnolo.
    Half man, Half bike
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I saw the biggest carp of my life in the moat of that castle.

As you were.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • blazing_saddles

Ya, I read that on the Giro site, but I fancied a bit of dessert.

But, seeing it's you.

pumpkin-ravioli-cappellacci.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    Piave.jpg
    Sacrario.jpg
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,531
    edited May 2018
    Wrong thread
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    It's raining.

Break has 21s with 27kms to go. Break includes Eugert Zhupa, Jacopo Mosca, Mirco Maestri, Manuel Senni and Marco Frapporti
    You own a time machine?
  • TheBigBean
    edited May 2018
    Wrong thread
  • TheBigBean
    edited May 2018
    Wrong thread
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    You own a time machine?

You may need to expand on that.
    Take a close look at the thread.
  • TheBigBean
    edited May 2018
    Wrong thread
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Wellens has now attacked.
    Seriously, look at the thread.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

You could have been more helpful there.
  • rick_chasey

Ya, I read that on the Giro site, but I fancied a bit of dessert.

But, seeing it's you.

pumpkin-ravioli-cappellacci.jpg

I only know this because I have a thing for always eating the local town delicacy despite my preferences. Suffice to say I hate pumpkin but guess what I had for lunch?
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

You could have been more helpful there.

:lol:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If you look at the route profile you can see the exact point where the person drawing it said oh bollôcks when his ruler slipped and ruined his straight line.

G18_T13_NervesaDB_alt_jpg.jpg
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    Main local food in Vicenza is cats, no?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    andyp wrote:
    In the late 1990s I worked in Vicenza for a while, and never had chance to eat cat. :(

However, I'd guess you (andyp) know that it's a legend that the people of Vicenza ate cats, taken from an Italian children's rhyme (and likely to have much less validity than the English children's rhyme about 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie).

Still, the eating of cats isn't/wasn't uncommon in some cultures during different eras – it almost goes without saying that some places in Asia ate/eat cats (sorry if my generalisation may offend some people), while during WW2 it is known that due to food shortages cats were sometimes eaten in both Germany and the UK, if not always admitted at the time by the cooks - they would often say it was hare.

Apparently thyme goes very well with cat meat, for those who at the moment have had enough of their own moggy.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    andyp wrote:

The Swiss are fond of a bit of cat.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    davidof wrote:
    andyp wrote:

The Swiss are fond of a bit of cat.

So are the Yemenis...*

*I'll get my coat.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ridgerider
    Calling TheBigBean...the stage has started.
    Half man, Half bike
  • above_the_cows
    Ridgerider wrote:

They're on tomorrow's thread.
  • ridgerider
    It's raining.

Break has 21s with 27kms to go. Break includes Eugert Zhupa, Jacopo Mosca, Mirco Maestri, Manuel Senni and Marco Frapporti
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    Wellens is going to attack in a minute.
    Half man, Half bike
  • blazing_saddles
    Ridgerider wrote:

Chapeau Mrs Cow.

Have you been in hiding?
    I hope you have noticed that these threads are a bit dry (humour not alcohol, obviously)and short of 4 legged friends. :wink:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    It's raining.

Touche. :lol:
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Bora-Hangrohe DS just said the maglia ciclamino wouldn't look good with Sam Bennetts freckles and ginger hair
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^Sam Bennett aside, I do think it's one of the best looking jerseys
  • rick_chasey
    Dutch commentator noting Quinziato has made himself a millionaire after setting up an Italian call centre in Albania.

Also that Basso used to have a booklet which would say exactly how many grams of each component of a dinner he was allowed to have for a given power output that day. He’d the weigh it out.

Savage.
  • above_the_cows
    Ridgerider wrote:

Chapeau Mrs Cow.

Have you been in hiding?
    I hope you have noticed that these threads are a bit dry (humour not alcohol, obviously)and short of 4 legged friends. :wink:

I have sadly been busy with work. But to make up for it here are some horses from a well-known landmark nearby today's route.

1c3d35f236d49dd2dc813344a3867209.jpg