24 Hole Rims

kangarouge
kangarouge Posts: 210
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm about to purchase some Shimano Dura Ace hubs and get them built up, hopefully using 24hole rims. I already have a set, though in 28hole format and I'm very pleased with them.

It was my intention to use 24h H Plus Son Archetype rims but I am wondering if anyone can suggest any other alternatives.

Comments

• Something tubeless
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kangarouge
    I was planning on just straightforward tubed clinchers.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    I’d go with the Archetypes...I love mine
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    not in 24H you wont. The rim is not stiff enough in that drilling for a 65kg rider it turns out. I found that out the hard way.

For 24H pick something wide at least 25mm deep but deeper is better. The profile needs to rounded no a V like the archetype. Its the V shape thats the problem.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • vegasfoster
    vegasfoster Posts: 59
    Kinlin makes a disc version of their 31mm rims http://www.bikehubstore.com/Kinlin-XR31 ... xr31ts.htm Hunt uses the rim brake version on some of their wheels https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-24wide Not as nice as the archetype, but still pretty nice IMO.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    not in 24H you wont. The rim is not stiff enough in that drilling for a 65kg rider it turns out. I found that out the hard way.

For 24H pick something wide at least 25mm deep but deeper is better. The profile needs to rounded no a V like the archetype. Its the V shape thats the problem.

I've only ever used the 24 hole Archetypes as front wheels - and not found them to be a problem over '000s of miles. I'm not much under 80kgs these days :oops: :oops: Cannot vouch for them as a rear wheel though - I've always used 28 hole to support my lardy ass!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    I've been riding a 24H front and 28H rear Archetype for five years, no problems at all. I'm 82kg and regularly carry 8kg of bikepacking kit as well. Wheels have been absolutely bomb-proof over 14,000 miles.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    HED Belgium (Plus).
  • kangarouge
    Many thanks to all for the replies. Very helpful and based on the replies, definitely saved me from possibly making the mistake of purchasing 24h Hplus Son for the back wheel. I suppose it shows the value of the using Forum.

I was looking for rim s that weigh between 430 - 450 grams and one of the Hunt's may be suitable. I'll have a look and try and find some reviews for them. The HED Belgium version looks a bit expensive. I am just a humble working man.

I've never used DT Swiss products and I was wondering if anybody was going to suggest some of their products. But alas, not so.

Thanks to all.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    DT Swiss R460 in 24H as front wheel is not a problem at all.
    Rear a R511 and the fine set is complete.
    A wide , stiff rim in alloy and 430-450 gram does not exist.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Keezx wrote:
    DT Swiss R460 in 24H as front wheel is not a problem at all.
    Rear a R511 and the fine set is complete.
    A wide , stiff rim in alloy and 430-450 gram does not exist.
    Rot. Kinlin XR22T. Malcolm (CycleClinic) sells them. I've built a couple of sets, both 20F 24R, one road, one fixie. Build up easily, wide, stiff, tubeless-ready, 450g. Now my go-to alloy rim in place of the Pacenti SL23 or the Archetype. Ride very well, and no problem mounting tubeless tyres either.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The xr22t in 24 drilling is fine for a fixie but for a geared bike it maybe under spoked for some. 28h rear is better and I still can't find a better shallow rim.

450g too.

The Mavic open pro UST is 410g and quite God butgo with a 28 spoke rear.

The r460 averages at 480g and this rims problem is the kinlin exists.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.