70mm stem and 25deg rise for Giant Contend Sl2 disc

musclebeach
musclebeach Posts: 116
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Hi,
I’ve been recommended to get a 70mm stem with 25 degree rise for my road bike to replace the 110mm one by a recent bikefit I had.

It’s quite a large rise but that just feels comfortable for me, possibly as I’m so used to MTB for over 15 years.

Just wondered if anyone else had done similar as it looks like the headtube is oversize so only a few stems may fit.....

I’m guessing a standard size wouldn’t be suitable, I’m quite new to the whole roadie scene

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    depends who did the bike fit. I had a few done to compare and one recommended i rode a 52inch frame and a 140mm stem......... Im 6ft tall. None of them recommended the same or reasonably similar it was bizzare.

All claimed to be experts.....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    52 inch frame ? Ok that would be a big bike. You'd need stepladders.
  • musclebeach
    Haha well the bike is an L and I’m 6ft 1 with a 34 leg, with the standard 110mm stem I’m so stretched out. He’s had a lot of good feedback from the club I belong to and I’m happy with his abvice....it’s just how easy it’s going to be to find a 70mm with a 25 deg rise or close to!
  • musclebeach
    As people may have seen, I got the stem I wanted....doesn’t fit! The holes between the stem are different on giants stem to the Bontrager Elite one I got.... does anyone have an answer? Looks like I’ll have to speak to a Giant dealer if not.. seems mad just to replace a stem
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I'm guessing you don't have any more room on the steerer to add spacers to raise a new stem so is that why they specified a 25deg. rise? If you can still raise the stem here is a chart to get the right height and length with a different and easier to find stem that's not exactly 25deg. rise. http://www.yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php
  • musclebeach
    Unfortunately not, the stem has all the spacers on. I was last on an ML frame but that was stolen so this is an insurance replacement L frame, my bike fitter said the size is fine just a rise and a shorter stem would help me that’s all
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Well in that case you still have the option of using a stem with a steeper angle and lowering it to obtain the right height if you can't locate a 25 deg. stem. The converter site at the link I posted makes it easy as you may also have to change the length to get the right geometry for you.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As people may have seen, I got the stem I wanted....doesn’t fit! The holes between the stem are different on giants stem to the Bontrager Elite one I got.... does anyone have an answer? Looks like I’ll have to speak to a Giant dealer if not.. seems mad just to replace a stem

How do you mean the holes are in different places?

Pics?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,035
    A 70mm 25 degree stem on a drop bar bike sounds very twitchy, I have a 100mm 35 degree stem from when my lower back injury made riding painful ~10 years ago and it feels far less stable on fast sweeping bends compared to the 110mm 17 degree I currently have on my flat bar (~750mm wide) Voodoo! :eek:

On the face of it, it sounds strange that you accepted a large replacement insurance frame when you previously had a medium-large.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • musclebeach
    Sorry just seen this, I wanted a Large as my ML was far too small and I was hunched over.

Its been almost impossible to get a 70mm with 25deg rise so I’ve had to get a 70mm giant 8 degree one. I think this will be much more stable on the road so will have to see how I get on...

The holes are different as the stem part which attaches to the steerer...the 4 holes are a certain distance apart which the hydraulic unit fits nicely to. I bought a Bontrager stem but the problem is I need to use the giant hydraulic unit. The 4 holes for that are a further distance apart on the other part of the stem... so it doesn’t fit. So I have to choose a giant one and they don’t do higher rise stems.....pfft!