Stages G3 R8000

JakeJ
JakeJ Posts: 151
edited October 2019 in Road general
So somehow I managed to impulse buy a Stages G3 power metre this morning.

I know there's a million topics on power metres on here but I'm wondering about peoples actual experience with Stages power metres and their reliability, from what I've seen, some people are lucky and have no problem with them, other people have a nightmare and end up sending them back multiple times.

Does anyone have experience with the G3 model? It's just the left hand side crank version of Ultegra R8000.

Also is it worth me saving up again and buying the drive side version and pair them up or is it not that important?

Thanks
Jake

Comments

• JakeJ wrote:

Also is it worth me saving up again and buying the drive side version and pair them up or is it not that important?

Thanks
    Jake

Probably not important for the hobby cyclist

Stages thread viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12953022&hilit=stages
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    I find it fascinating how people buy stuff and then ask the question s they should have asked before they bought it.people like this must be a salesman's dream.
    Stages G1 had problems.My G2 had battery drain in cold weather and lots of ant+ drop out but OK on Bluetooth.If your G3 works then you don't need dual sided.Lots of very fast riders using single sided to train with.As long as your getting consistent data then you will be fine.
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Had G1 and G2. Both were replaced under warranty at one time but the replacements are still going strong years later.
    They dont seem to like cold and wet.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ive got stages, the first iterations went wrong ALL the time but were replaced within 2 days each time and with no questions asked, i also got direct contact with Stages in the US and in the whole despite some frustration it was a positive experience.

Now several years on the problems seem to be ironed out and the product is great, reliable (touchwood) and provides consistent results, im very pleased with them.

A very thin smear of grease on top of the thin seal is good

Use of the jetwash directly on the unit is bad

Enjoy and if youve not used a powermeter before just look at the numbers for a while and they'll gradually start to make sense. There are some good objective based training courses on training peaks that are cost effective and far cheaper than a coach, most of whom talk a good talk etc. Unless of course youre the next Simon Yates in which case you'll have access to coaches that know what theyre doing but for the rest of us....

Trainer road is also good value.

Training and racing with a powermeter and the Powermeter handbook are good reads and references.

I was dubious about power at first mostly on the basis of cost but stages changed that and theyve really helped the quality of my training, which is limited by time and advancing age.

Enjoy!
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    If the G3 has the same battery cover as the G2, take care replacing the battery. I lost my cover, o-ring, battery cruising around. They very quickly sent a free replacement.

I ended up using a piece of electrical tape around the crank arm and battery cover just for added security. Might not even notice it on black crank arms.
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    Have been using a stages Gen 3 R8000 since the start of the year. I am now getting zero offset values of between 818 and 830. Stages have told me this is below the minimum value of 840.

Cannot for the life of me figure out why its happened. Battery has been changed 3 times since December which isnt far out of Stages recommendations based on use. The power data is consistent but i don't know if it high or low!

The unit is out of warranty so i am starting to worry a little bit! Will see what they say
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    Just an update on my situation. Stages did me a warranty replacement with zero questions asked!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Go 4iiii
    Simple as
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    JGSI wrote:
    Go 4iiii
    Simple as

this, more reliable. better.