Tour of Britain 2018

Comments

• ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    TheFog wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

Also York has hosted the TDY

Sorry, did mean to type "in the last few years". A stage finished in York in 2015, first year of the tour.

Ah I see. Yeah I don't doubt that it will get it again though, there's only so many big cities and Leeds is getting it's share too isn't it
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    birdie23 wrote:
    Dave L wrote:
    Looks like there will be a Cumbrian stage this year....
    http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/Tour-of-Britain-to-come-to-Barrow-and-Ulverston-84d6ee5b-c381-4df0-9c01-9a338f9d6759-ds
    Doubtless they'll manage to miss all the best climbs, but one can always hope.
    Sunny Bank up to the Range Rover garage at Torver was resurfaced because of this a few weeks ago, rumour I heard was that it's earlier than the 7th though.

From that article:

"As far as I'm aware it's going from Barrow to Ulverston," he said. "From Ulverston to Greenodd and Penny Bridge, Lowick, Torver, Coniston, Hawkhead Hill and then I assume they would turn left and go to Ambleside and from Ambleside to Grasmere."

That's only a smidgeon over 50km, so either it's a long TT or they're going to take a detour or two.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Great, it sounds like a Cumbrian stage which misses any actual hills.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    birdie23 wrote:
    Dave L wrote:
    Looks like there will be a Cumbrian stage this year....
    http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/Tour-of-Britain-to-come-to-Barrow-and-Ulverston-84d6ee5b-c381-4df0-9c01-9a338f9d6759-ds
    Doubtless they'll manage to miss all the best climbs, but one can always hope.
    Sunny Bank up to the Range Rover garage at Torver was resurfaced because of this a few weeks ago, rumour I heard was that it's earlier than the 7th though.

From that article:

"As far as I'm aware it's going from Barrow to Ulverston," he said. "From Ulverston to Greenodd and Penny Bridge, Lowick, Torver, Coniston, Hawkhead Hill and then I assume they would turn left and go to Ambleside and from Ambleside to Grasmere."

That's only a smidgeon over 50km, so either it's a long TT or they're going to take a detour or two.

I heard talk of it going over Whinlatter Pass. Guess we'll find out for sure tonight.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    A lady I know texted me yesterday saying she'd seen 'Team Sky' and 'another tour team' riding through the Stroud valleys. I would credit her with not being mistaken, so can only assume they may have been looking at routes in the area? Cant imagine any other reason. Could have been a few blokes in knock off replica kit I guess ... :lol:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I'd be suprised if Sky would bother recon for ToB.

Some nice classics-style riding round there though.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    How do they manage to keep the routes such a closely guarded secret? You'd have thought that various planning or council traffic department processes need to be gone through in triplicate to get the amount of temporary road closures put in place, and those will presumably all already be in place otherwise they'd be publishing a detailed route without approval from the petty bureaucrats some of whom might delight in sticking two fingers up to their lycra-clad enemies because form A-234/C needs endorsing by a member of the chartered institute of public road safety PRIOR to submission through the planning portal, but only if form B-765/2 (2017 revision) has box A1 ticked in black meaning all forms needed to be in three weeks ago, and you missed the deadline, sorry.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I guess people aren't really THAT excited about the route ? I may pop over if its close and convenient - but other than that - mehhh.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    TbF Tour of Britain peaked on stage 6 in 2006.

In hindsight this is a pretty strong podium tour-of-britain-winning-cyclists-on-the-podium-best-british-rider-picture-id832267866
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    birdie23 wrote:
    I heard talk of it going over Whinlatter Pass. Guess we'll find out for sure tonight.

Twice. A 14 km TTT which finishes on it, then a stage finish the next day after 170 kms from Barrow-in-Furness.

An uphill 14 km TT is novel.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Route launched. Not coming my way, nor within two counties.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Stage 1 KoM on Bethlehem Hill, used to go there to get Xmas cards franked Bethlehem!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    This is an interesting Team Time Trial

LbXNcVp.png
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TbF Tour of Britain peaked on stage 6 in 2006.

In hindsight this is a pretty strong podium tour-of-britain-winning-cyclists-on-the-podium-best-british-rider-picture-id832267866

Ahhh, memories. My eldest threw his Fruit Shoot bottle onto the road just before the riders got there. And then demanded we left because he was bored.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    This is an interesting Team Time Trial

LbXNcVp.png

Still doesn't go anywhere near my house.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,524
    The Devon route should be fun - up and down the whole time. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27714260

It's got the punishing Chineway Hill right near the start, draggy, ramping up, with a slightly extended 25% kick near the end. It'll be interesting to see how hard they go at that, as there's a lot of hard work to do afterwards.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Stage 4 will come right past the building I work in.

I however will be on holiday in Cornwall :cry:
  • briantrumpet
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Stage 4 will come right past the building I work in.

I however will be on holiday in Cornwall :cry:
    And the Devon route is nearly all roads I know, and I won't be working...

...but I'll be in the south of France.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    It's an odd route, doesn't feel very joined up with some fairly long transfers. They're riding in some lumpy areas but generally the tougher climbs seem to be fairly early in stages where they are less likely to play a part (the Cumbrian stage being the exception). Interesting TTT though.

The final climb on Stage 1 is within walking distance of my house, it's fairly steep (up to 15%) but is only half a mile long. It's leaving me with a dilemma of watching there or at the finish, a hard attack there could be decisive as only about 5 miles to the finish. On the whole the stage feels like a wasted opportunity as it could have had some proper climbs but I guess they wouldn't want it smashed up on day 1. Defynnog is a fairly steep climb, regularly used in the Ras de Cymru but again not very long and half way through the stage where they'll be soft pedalling.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    iainf72 wrote:
    [
    Ahhh, memories. My eldest threw his Fruit Shoot bottle onto the road just before the riders got there. And then demanded we left because he was bored.
    Memories indeed. That was the race that got me back into cycling. I was just getting into photography and thought it would be fun to pop along and take some photos. Had no idea who any of the riders were.

40797610660_8f17177b4d.jpg

42554270442_15c9f94a1b.jpg

42554262602_156d7d5bec.jpg

42604132511_78c4116db1.jpg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The TTT does look an interesting development. But yeah. Nowhere near me either.

There's often long transfers between stages. They have to go where they are welcome I guess. Thursday can't pick and choose to start and finish at X and y.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    20180604-ToB-team-launch-graphic-1024x576.png

Good line up of teams.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    The end of the Devon stage could be interesting - up from Woolacombe and down through some very very narrow and twisty lanes via Georgeham to Croyde just when the race should be getting busy is a recipe for some chaos. Wouldn't want to be in a group having to ride fast through there with some fairly solid walls very close by!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I'd be suprised if Sky would bother recon for ToB.

Some nice classics-style riding round there though.

Yeah, it seemed like a red herring anyway. Comes close enough to these parts - Newport, Bristol, Nuneaton - but not through it.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • briantrumpet
    cougie wrote:
    The TTT does look an interesting development. But yeah. Nowhere near me either.

There's often long transfers between stages. They have to go where they are welcome I guess. Thursday can't pick and choose to start and finish at X and y.
    And by "where they are welcome", that means which authorities are prepared to pay £100k (might well be more now). I'm glad to say that Devon are enlightened, and realise that it beings in far more in tourism than the initial outlay.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Stage 4 goes close to my parents. Have ridden most of those roads, I might try to get down and be in Bristol for the start and finish.

Possibly watch the start, go to Mud Dock cafe and watch the race, then go and watch the finish (depending exactly where the finish is).
  • bobmcstuff
    And stage 7 isn't too far for me.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Stage 4 goes close to my parents. Have ridden most of those roads, I might try to get down and be in Bristol for the start and finish.

Possibly watch the start, go to Mud Dock cafe and watch the race, then go and watch the finish (depending exactly where the finish is).
    Do you mean Stage 3 (which confusingly is on 4th September)? Stage 4 is in Warwickshire (on 5th September).
  • bobmcstuff
    Graeme_S wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Do you mean Stage 3 (which confusingly is on 4th September)? Stage 4 is in Warwickshire (on 5th September).
    Oh, yes. That is confusing...
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    andyp wrote:
    birdie23 wrote:

Twice. A 14 km TTT which finishes on it, then a stage finish the next day after 170 kms from Barrow-in-Furness.

An uphill 14 km TT is novel.
    My local roads for the stage from Barrow, will be interesting to watch. Will be interesting to look on Strava afterwards for the roads we often ride that they're covering too.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC