Do you belong to more than one cycling club?

rock_bus
rock_bus Posts: 35
edited May 2018 in Road general
Just wondering how many people are members of more than one club?
I’m struggling to find one that suits my needs, where I need rides on Saturday and then particular week nights.
None of local clubs match my requirement perfectly so thinking of just chopping and changing.

Not ideal as would rather be loyal to one and build up a better social group by being a regular at one but just not proving possible at moment.

I intend to pay membership for the clubs so not taking advantage.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    If you are talking about a not very race orientated club, then it doesn't matter. If it's a race club, you better be a part of just one.

Personally I'm a member of many local clubs, but we don't race as a team. I don't race with any team, but I imagine if you race with a team, they don't want you racing in another team's jersey.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Depends if you are talking "clubs" on Strava ?

You see some people join as many "clubs" on Strava as possible, even if they don't even live anywhere near the area or cycle there. Maybe they once visited in 2016?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    You could always join the one that you find the friendliest and mostly suits your needs? Start rocking up regularly to to their weekend rides, then as you get to know more people you can organise other rides (such as your weekday ride) as part of that club. Expand their ride roster.

A cycling club isn't a one way street - join, participate and give back. :-)

But to answer your initial question, being a member of more than one is fine.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    N-1.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JakeJ
    JakeJ Posts: 151
    My girlfriends dad cycles with my club on a Tuesday night and then cycles with a different club on a Saturday morning.

So, the answer is yes. Yes you can.

*He also pays subs towards both clubs and has both club kits.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm second claim member of my son's club - was attending a few of his training sessions, also allows me to ride their club TTs. I did feel a bit of a tw*t turning up to their TT last season in first claim skinsuit and then winning the damn thing though - won't be doing that again!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    BigMat wrote:
    I'm second claim member of my son's club - was attending a few of his training sessions, also allows me to ride their club TTs. I did feel a bit of a tw*t turning up to their TT last season in first claim skinsuit and then winning the damn thing though - won't be doing that again!
    When they're all 6-10yo - I'm not surprised you felt a bit of a twunt turning up to their TT in a skinsuit - let alone winning the thing ;)

Another 2 club membership here - each one suits a different purpose
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    3 Clubs, though one is so far away it is more because I feel guilty when I show up too often, tagging along with my mate.

Though the cost of 2 of those clubs is far below the norm. (£5, £10 and £20)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    am going to go second claim with another local club. decent bunch...
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 97
    Yes. I joined my first claim club about 5 years ago. They are based about 10 miles away and I don't get out with them as often as I'd like but they have a good TT scene with a great club series over summer (a bit closer to home than where the club rides go from) and I know loads of people.

Since I joined them a new club has started literally at the end of my road. They're much more about social riding/sportives but their club rides are great and really convenient so this year I joined them too. They are members of an inter club TT league that is on the same night as my first claim club's races so I haven't done any of those (less convenient for me) but do intend to race their open TT for my first claim club (volunteering my OH to help as he is racing the next day).
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A lot of clubs round here ride at the weekend and the retired folks run on a wednesday. If you need something after work then the local chaingang is from couple of different clubs.
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    In my local area, if you are a member of one of the clubs the other clubs don't mind you taking part in their group rides, it may be the same for your area.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    why don't you just make somd friends and go riding with them instead?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

How to make friends though? I dunno, maybe join a club or something....
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

difference between clubbies and friends.

speaking to people generally helps. work colleagues. friends of existing friends. down the pub. shockingly, how about posting on here?

wtaf do you want to be part of lots of clubs?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

speaking to people generally helps. work colleagues. friends of existing friends. down the pub. shockingly, how about posting on here?

We can't all be in an elite, special forces pro cycling team like you, unfortunately. If you are racing, you either have the option of riding and promoting events through the UK club network, or riding as a PM. The other alternative - which I suspect is what you do - is ride for a team ('teamies' eh?) whereby you ride everyone else's events, but don't promote any yourself.

Your pathological dislike of 'clubs' and 'clubbies' is bizarre - not to mention extraordinarily tedious. But we're all different, I guess...
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

We can't all be in an elite, special forces pro cycling team like you, unfortunately. If you are racing, you either have the option of riding and promoting events through the UK club network, or riding as a PM. The other alternative - which I suspect is what you do - is ride for a team ('teamies' eh?) whereby you ride everyone else's events, but don't promote any yourself.

Your pathological dislike of 'clubs' and 'clubbies' is bizarre - not to mention extraordinarily tedious. But we're all different, I guess...

why is it tedious? because some people don't feel the urge to be sheep?

all my events are promoted and supported by everyone who takes part so I'm not sure what you're on about. i think it shows a certain innocence about the world on your part.

break free. make friends, ride with friends in non matching clothes who talk to people who aren't wearing the same matching clothes.

some may say ride the winds of change.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

In my cause it's because I am thoroughly unlikeable...
  • Matthewfalle
    HaydenM wrote:

In my cause it's because I am thoroughly unlikeable...

Good point well presented :)

I personally just don't like most people,.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I wouldn't worry about set nights of official club rides. Join whichever club you like best and once your a member I'm sure you can arrange something impromptu on weeknights you can do. My club no longer accepts second claim members except under very exceptional circumstances.
  • imposter2.0

There's a certain irony about someone from one of the uniformed services complaining about other people being sheep. Keep up this level of hypocrisy and you'll soon be able to change your name to 'milemuncher2'...
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

There's a certain irony about someone from one of the uniformed services complaining about other people being sheep. Keep up this level of hypocrisy and you'll soon be able to change your name to 'milemuncher2'...

Sorry - I don't follow your line of thinking (no pun intended).

Please can you explain?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Please can you explain?

Certainly can - I mean that like Milemuncher, you have a tendency towards spouting nonsense. Milemuncher is unintentionally hilarious though. Your stuff - although you clearly try hard - is just a bit meh.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    You can sign up for as many clubs as you want, they are all surely happy to take your membership money. If you decide to enter Time trials or even if you simply join BC, you will need to choose your "first claim" club...
    left the forum March 2023
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I work in one town and live about an hour away so for a period of time i have been in two clubs depending on where i am for club events.

It's a lot of marshalling duties though :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Please can you explain?

Certainly can - I mean that like Milemuncher, you have a tendency towards spouting nonsense. Milemuncher is unintentionally hilarious though. Your stuff - although you clearly try hard - is just a bit meh.

Sorry, again you seem to be mumbling and no one track your train of thought.

What has that got to do your post re uniformed services?

Sorry, still waiting for an explanation about your line of thinking. Or is this where you throw a wobbly and call troll like you always do with people?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Sorry, again you seem to be mumbling and no one track your train of thought.

What has that got to do your post re uniformed services?

Sorry, still waiting for an explanation about your line of thinking. Or is this where you throw a wobbly and call troll like you always do with people?

No, that's only with you. Without wishing to take the thread off topic - if you're that keen to understand, send me a pm or something.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Imposter wrote:
    There's a certain irony about someone from one of the uniformed services complaining about other people being sheep.
    Unless that was supposed to be tongue in cheek, you don't know what you're talking about. For future reference, it's called bollox. If it was tongue in cheek, I apologise.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • imposter2.0
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    There's a certain irony about someone from one of the uniformed services complaining about other people being sheep.
    Unless that was supposed to be tongue in cheek, you don't know what you're talking about. For future reference, it's called bollox. If it was tongue in cheek, I apologise.

Dude - practically everything I post is tongue in cheek - except for the stuff that isn't. I blame clubbies...or wiggle, or something...
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    In my part of the US, this isn't even a "thing".

Group rides are just a Facebook group that posts weekly rides. You want to ride, you show up and don't act like a fool.

You like the group, you can ask if people want to ride one on one with you. You like the group a lot, you can attend an organized group cookout or planning for a Fondo or something.

Not really many "$50 a year" clubs you join near me. They are all voluntary, free, and come and go as you please.

Teams are different. I'll never do anything here but Cat 4/5 racing so do not concern myself with such things. Around here in Cat 4/5 all you have to do to drop the field is charge over a 2 min hill quick and take 3 to 5 others with you. Chances are the teams won't have more than one guy in it. Game over. Too late. Those guys battle for podiums and the rest of us chums battle each other out just for overall place/rank points.