The Wirral Way

Suedehead
Suedehead Posts: 4
edited May 2018 in Road general
Hi,

I'd like to have a look at the Wirral Way this week whist I'm off work and it's quiet.

Please could anybody out there advise if it's suitable for a road bike, and if so, where is a good safe place to park as I'm driving down from Preston.
If anyone has a circular route of 40 - 50 miles that would be great as I notice that the coastal route is about 22 miles.

Cheers

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    ~30 years ago, as a teenager attending the local grammar school, I vaguely recall cycling the bit between West Kirby and Lower Heswall on a road bike, can't for the life of me remember how wide the tyres were.

I would have thought anywhere near Marine Lake would be safe to park.

Unbekwown at the time, long before the days of Strava, there are a few cat4 segments from Lower Heswall to Heswall... Albeit these will take you off The Wirral Way!;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Suedehead
    Thank you, much appreciated.
  • parakarter
    parakarter Posts: 7
    Best place to park would be at Hooton station carpark as this is where the WW starts and its a nice big secure carpark.
    Its mostly suitable for road bikes especially if the weather has been dry although some sections you will have to take a little care. I ride along sections on my road bike sometimes. If you go from hooton to west kirby on the WW you can then follow the coastal path through hoylake, meols, mortoen and new brighton and then down to the mersey ferry terminal at woodside.
    From their you can follow the wirral circular route signs back nearly all the way to hooton, that should give you the ride you want.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    Been a few years since I've been down there. Most sections are fairly compacted and smooth, but there will probably be a few muddy sections in the shaded dips. My main concern would be that it's quite popular with families, dog walkers, and in some sections, horses, so you'll struggle to get up much speed if that's what you want. There are some nice views if you cycle through Ness and Parkgate on the roads. The west side of the Wirral is fairly green and scenic. The east side not so much.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's mainly OK for road bikes - I use my winter bike or mountain bike more than my best summer bike but unless it's very wet you shouldn't have any issues.

There's a few places where you have to cross roads so I'd take the opportunity to leave the path in Parkgate and go for ice cream at Nicholsons along the prom. Or fish and chips.

From Hooton to West Kirby is a 20 mile round trip. I'd carry it on past West Kirby - check out the Marine Lake there - on the road to Hoylake and then maybe take the prom from there through to New Brighton. All offroad. Theres a bit of sand but go easy and you should be OK. From New Brighton you can carry on round the coast to Seacombe Ferry.

That's probably 25 miles or so and I'd loop back the same way if I were you as it's simple navigation.

You won't be going as fast as on the road so allow extra time. You can come up from Seacombe Ferry and take the roads back to Hooton but it's just roads really. If you want to - I'd go from Seacombe Ferry and aim for Birkenhead Park - the model for NY's Central Park, then up through Oxton, Prenton, Bebington, Claremont Farm to avoid the Mway roundabout - Wilaston and Hooton through the back lanes.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Use a CX rather than a road. it has lots of loose stone surface on hardpack. Stuff that could puncture or flick and chip your good bike. However nothing road tyres can't handle. I use my CX if I go down there, but 25mm would be fine.

As mentioned, loaded with familes, dogs, runners, children on bikes, especially between West Kirby and Thurstaston and then later at Neston/Parkgate. The coastal route from Hoylake/Meols to New Brighton and beyond is the same.

As noted some good views.

Parking - Parkgate has some, Thustaston Country Park isn't bad either. Coming from Preston and going through the tunnel you could park in New Brighton as it is relatively close to the exit. Potential route https://www.strava.com/routes/13263011 Section between Birkenhead Park and the Ferry terminal isn't that nice and the A554 bridge is closed off currently. Depending where you parked i'd be tempted to go the reverse of the planned route.

Or as noted just do there and back.

To note there is a risk of some sand on the path by Wallasey Golf Club, nothing mad though.

Park at numerous locations. Places for a drink or eat depending on your plans.
    New Brighton has a bunch of typical retail outlets.
    West Kirby, few local coffee shops which some cyclists use
    Thurstaston has a cafe by the car park, nothing special but friendly and does the job.
    Parkgate - Elephant Cafe and/or an ice cream
    Raby has a decent pub called the Wheatsheaf
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Or you could still park at Hooton, go up through Willaston, Burton and join the cycle (shared) path straight into North Wales, or follow the path to it's end and come back through Mickle Trafford, Stoak etc back through the Suttons and back to Hooton.
  • Suedehead
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, it's my first post on here and I'm very impressed with the calibre of the members.

Much appreciated.