Wahoo Tickr & cadence sensor battery life?

JakeJ
JakeJ Posts: 151
edited May 2018 in Road general
So I got mine at Christmas making them both less than 6 months old.

I've noticed that the HRM seems to either not pick up for most of the ride or come in and out throughout.

I've not being paying as much attention to the cadence sensor, however I'm pretty sure it's doing the same thing.

I haven't done a million miles this year at all so it's not like they've constantly been going.

Is this a usual indicator that the battery is low and needs replacing?

If it's important they've both been used in conjunction with the Wahoo Elmnt Bolt (which I've had no problems with).

Thanks,
Jake.

edit: Just doing a bit of reading into it, can I use the Wahoo utility app to check battery life in these parts?
I'm asking rather than doing because my phone is broken at the moment. :roll:

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Isn't it CR2032 battery ? You can pick them up for pennies. Just change it and see and get a spare too.
  • JBVRV
    JBVRV Posts: 27
    I replaced mine at two years old after having similar issues, but a new battery didn't fix it. It still seems to read incorrectly quite regularly (dropping down to 90 or so and not changing whilst riding). Wahoo are normally quite responsive to emails, but I haven't bothered to get in touch with them yet myself.

I'm using the Tickr with a Wahoo Elemnt
  • skyblue337
    skyblue337 Posts: 135
    My Wahoo cadence sensor seems to be chewing through a battery in just a week. Anyone else had this? I have updated to the latest firmware
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Yeah I was using the RPM sensor the came with the Kickr I think, and was getting through a ridiculous number of batteries. It was fine when in use but too often at the start of a session it would be dead until i stuck a new battery in.

I switched to a Blue SC cadence sensor which has godlike battery life in comparison. Got 2 of them now and still on the original batteries after a year or so. Tickr is also on original battery which has been going for the same length of time.

Haven't had any problems with either maintaining connection after it has been established.
  • I had a Wahoo cadence sensor that had that problem with batteries, even if the bike wasn't moved for a week the battery would be dead. Emailed Wahoo customer support explaining the problem and they sent out a replacement immediately and without question, I just had to email them a copy of my order receipt (bought from Wiggle), so I suspect they know there was a faulty batch.
    The replacement has worked perfectly with the battery still going strong.
  • skyblue337
    skyblue337 Posts: 135
    Thanks for the information. I contacted them last week and they suggested putting the battery in back to front to reset the sensor. I think I’ll send them my receipt (I also got it with a kickr) and see what they suggest
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Funny you say this.......I have had a Wahoo Blue SC cadence meter for about 3 yrs and the battery packed up mid-ride yesterday. It had been on its 1st battery since I bought it so not a big deal, esp when 5 new batteries only cost me a fiver.
  • Blader1611
    Blader1611 Posts: 29
    Does the wahoo cadence sensor give any indication that the battery is low? I have had mine since Jan and for the past week whilst using it on zwift it has regularly being reading rpm at over 170rpm. I can safely say there is no way i can spin that fast for an entire race! It is hilarious though going up boxhill and seeing my avatars legs spinning like a helicopter