New bike - seat post too short

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited May 2018 in Road general
Just bought a bike from CRC through cyclescheme.

I setup the bike this weekend and the seatpost is too short - it's about 30mm over the min insert line.

I was in between 2 sizes and opted for the smaller size - which my dimensions should fit based on their size guide.

Was hoping to get in touch with them today and them just to send a longer version of the same seatpost - for free - with me returning the original. I'm assuming this is a pretty standard thing?!

When I did speak to CRC the bloke on livechat was next to useless, so gonna get back in touch this afternoon and hope to speak with someone else. But just wanted to check I wasn't wrong for expecting an exchange*?

*seatpost exchange, not bike.

Comments

• dinyull
    Annoyingly, even if I was at the lower end of the leg length on the size chart I still don't think the seatpost would be long enough.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It would seem reasonable given that you're within the size guide, although I wouldn't count on them actually letting you have one for free - if they do it will probably be a bit rubbish.

Is it a fairly standard 27.2mm? If it's some kind of aero post then things could become considerably more complicated.
  • dinyull
    Yeah it's a 27.2mm.

In the livechat they offered a £20 refund so I'm pretty happy with that. The seatpost is a home brand thing so nothing fancy, just annoying as I'm within the size chart and like I said, I doubt it'd fit if I was at the lower end of the size chart.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah £20 is reasonable, you can get plenty of half-decent posts for that, or even half of a decent seatpost....
  • dinyull
    Resolved

With it being a Cyclescheme order it muddied the situation as they could only offer a £20 CRC voucher. But after pointing out the cheapest relevant seatpost is a load cheaper elsewhere they've sent me it for free as goodwill.

Happy with that.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Good service from a major online retailer. Wow. Must be wizardry.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Do you have really long legs, Dinyull? I find it amazing that a bike would come off the peg with a seatpost too short to satisfy the recommended height range.

I'm glad you got sorted out!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • dinyull
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Do you have really long legs, Dinyull? I find it amazing that a bike would come off the peg with a seatpost too short to satisfy the recommended height range.

I'm glad you got sorted out!

5"11 with 32 inside leg. So I'm at the top end of a 56cm in this particular frame http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... d|587589UK

But the seatpost is 30mm too short - and if I had 31 inside leg it would be right on the limit.

Without measuring it, I'm assuming they've used the wrong seatpost.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Your saddle is probably too high.
  • dinyull
    Haha, here we go.

I have a little bit of bend at the bottom of the pedal stroke. And even if it is a bit too high (same on my other 3 bikes over the past 8 years) it's not 30mm too high.

Put it this way, if I have at min insert level I feel like my knees are round my ears.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    How is the bike? I've been looking at this model with keen interest as I wanted a bike with hydro disks and 105 groupset. The only thing putting me off is the chain-set as I really need a compact as we have a LOT of hills around here so need the 34 inner ring as well as a 30/32 on the back.

Apart from the post height are you happy with it? How does it ride? I'm about 2cm taller than you at 182cm but with 32 inside leg so I guess I'd need a 58? How do you find the size you are on? Not too small or compact?

I'd appreciate your feedback on it as it seems like a cracking deal.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    How is the bike? I've been looking at this model with keen interest as I wanted a bike with hydro disks and 105 groupset. The only thing putting me off is the chain-set as I really need a compact as we have a LOT of hills around here so need the 34 inner ring as well as a 30/32 on the back.

Apart from the post height are you happy with it? How does it ride? I'm about 2cm taller than you at 182cm but with 32 inside leg so I guess I'd need a 58? How do you find the size you are on? Not too small or compact?

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b67s6p8339/CUBE-AGREE-C%3A62-DISC-2017/RS_GB/33270?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3ZG77LqH2wIVAV8ZCh0xSggnEAQYASABEgIMnPD_BwE - is what you really want.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    @Dinyull ~73cm bb to saddle top?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dinyull
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Due to family holiday not really had much chance to ride it, but did get out for a longer commute this morning.

Having said that, really happy with it. It's main role will be commuting and that's why I wanted hydro discs and they especially have blown me away so far. Far more feel and power than cable discs and rims. So much so, that I don't think I'd get another rim brake bike.

I've been using 105 since 5800 was released and it's a great groupset - but the revised front mech is much "snappier" than the previous version and less pull needed.

Was a bit concerned at the wheel weight but haven't noticed them tbh, even set a 3rd best time up a little climb this morning.

Happy with the size (despite the seatpost), I have the stem slammed (it came with a 110mm stem) and it's pretty spot on. Little bit of toe overlap, but not enough to concern me even when I put mudguards on.

Not quite sure it's worth £1100, but at the £850 I got it for (with cyclescheme it'll only cost me something like £650) it's an absolute steal.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    Sounds good. So how did you get if for £850? I can get Cycle 2 Work scheme bikes where I am, but don't seem to dicount apart from the obvious tax savings.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

And they have your size in stock. Stop dithering and get it bought!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dinyull
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Sounds good. So how did you get if for £850? I can get Cycle 2 Work scheme bikes where I am, but don't seem to dicount apart from the obvious tax savings.

It was on offer a couple of weeks back for £850 - was a one week only thing though.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat

I couldn't help but notice the Agree is ~0.5Kg lighter than the Attain GTC Pro Disc, but then struggled to see what accounted for the weight saving.

Any ideas?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dinyull
    @Dinyull ~73cm bb to saddle top?

I had to measure last night haha, but yes.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    I guess they were very accurate with the inside leg that the 56cm frame size specs were for. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    I had that issue with a couple of Synapses, but that was because they mistakenly supplied me with 300mm ones instead of the specced 350mm one - both I was able to buy a replacement, send them the receipt, and they refunded me the £70 for each.

I also bought a Fuji for my gf - that came with a 280mm or 300mm seatpost, and she does not have overly long legs, but it was not enough, as it has a compact frame.

I raised the point with Evans but thy weren't going to do anything as it was as specced - it was only a winter bike, so I just bought a alu seatpost from superstar for something silly like £10 - it was purple too, so she was most pleased with the colour coding nature of it :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18