Getting more into road biking and decided to spend a little

substorm
substorm Posts: 4
edited May 2018 in Road beginners
Even though I would still consider myself a beginner cyclist in general, I have definitely more experience with mountain biking since that's the field I've been focusing on for the last 1.5 years. In recent weeks, however, I've been really lacking the time to get out much to enjoy proper mountain trails and as a result I've been mostly riding around my neighborhood. That's when I've realized that having a road bike could really improve the overall experience for those asphalt pathways.
Knowing how my hobbies frequently change, I wanted to spend as little as possible but still stay away from that departmental store junk. Coincidentally, a very attractive ad came up around the same time on Kijiji for the bike below and upon quick online research I've ended up buying it.
I haven't had much time to investigate the actual components and that's why I thought I would first post it here to see what you guys think? Was this a big mistake or I should be able to get some mileage out of it? The bottom of the frame says made in Taiwan which I guess is a good sign knowing that this is where some of the largest reputable bike manufactures are headquartered. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
2018-05-13_22h48_22.png

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Quite a mix of parts there, calipers on the rear, CX fork with cantis at the front. So long as you didn't pay too much for it...
  • substorm
    Imposter wrote:
    Quite a mix of parts there, calipers on the rear, CX fork with cantis at the front. So long as you didn't pay too much for it...

The person selling it didn’t seem to know much about bikes and he only had it for a year. I was thinking it might be a bit risky but drove across the entire city and didn’t want to return empty handed. I paid $120 CAD but maybe that was still too much?
    Does anyone know anything about Gavin bikes? There is not much info online.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If it goes forward and stops safely and lasts a year or two then CAD120 is a bargain.

Then again, if it brings a smile to your face and doesn’t give you the ebolaids/dead disease then CAD 120 is a bargain.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    CAD120 is 60 pounds. That’s a flippin’ Bargain. You can’t go wrong for £60.

It’s one of these.

https://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/gavin-no ... rk-co.html

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • substorm
    Thanks for the comments. I guess maybe it wasn’t such a bad deal after all. Which components would you suggest changing first? I should be picking up Specialized clipless shoes today but still searching around for some pedal deals. Any recommendations that won’t make a big impact on the thickness of my wallett?
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    substorm wrote:
    Thanks for the comments. I guess maybe it wasn’t such a bad deal after all. Which components would you suggest changing first? I should be picking up Specialized clipless shoes today but still searching around for some pedal deals. Any recommendations that won’t make a big impact on the thickness of my wallett?

Chain an brake pads. Maybe some wires too. Basically full service of the bike.
  • Matthewfalle
    Cables, brake pads, tyres and tubes.

Only need a chain if chain, cassette and chain rings are shot: if you're going to change the chain you'll need a new cassette to work with it.

Get a huge can of degreaser from motor factor (none of this Muc Off rubbish), some car shampoo and scrub it to an inch of its life.

Then sit down with a pack of Gauloises, some wine and check all the bolts, change the cables and sit back and gloat at your sweet new ride.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Re pedals: Look Keo. Second up in the range are perfect: around CAD38.55

https://www.merlincycles.com/look-keo-c ... 65458.html

As an aside, in recompense for my wonderful advice, can you track down MF some Charlestown Chews?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    ...: if you're going to change the chain you'll need a new cassette to work with it.
    Really?
    I do one cassette to 3 chains and wonder if I am being conservative having had no problems.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.