Koh Samui, Koh Phangan cycling

steoroc
steoroc Posts: 37
edited May 2018 in Tour & expedition
Hi, just wondering if anyone has done much cycling on either of the islands?
I'm going to be there for a couple of weeks and would love to get out a bit. I'm interested in some climbing but would prefer to stay on sealed roads if possible. Any routes would be appreciated, any highlights or must do climbs.
Cheers in advance

Comments

• I haven't ridden on either but as no one has come back to you, thought I'd drop you these thoughts in case they're helpful...

My husband hired a road bike when we were in Phuket about 18 months ago. It's a beautiful place but cycling there wasn't wholly successful as the roads were pretty narrow and busy where we were and we found they were covered in oil in many places, making them quite dangerous. Heating oil is transported by truck around the island and drops seem to spill on the road. We're experienced cyclists (check out my site: http://www.epicroadrides.com :wink: ) but one nasty experience coming off on oil meant my husband opted to use the bike to cycle to a good gym!

We also had a week in Koh Samui but ended up using the gym to train. The roads seemed quieter in Koh Samui than they were in Phuket, but have to say I didn't pay too much attention to the oil situation.

I should say that my husband was training for national level TT races at the time we visited so needed to be able to go flat out on the roads. Your experience may well be different if you're cycling for pleasure rather than speed.

Would love to hear how you get on! Will you let me know?