Creating a route on Google maps for the Bolt

patpalloon
patpalloon Posts: 14
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
I managed to do this! I like Google Maps for planning a route as it's nice and simple and the cycle routes are usually ok. I was looking for a route for Lon Las Cymru Holyhead to Chepstow. I searched on RWGPS and there were several routes but all had made alterations to LLC. Tried using RWGPS and Komoot to create the route but was too fiddly.

So went to Google Maps. Selected Holyhead as the start, Chepstow as the finish and boom! It did it just like that - all NCN 8 and 42. Actually there was a slight difference between the official one and this so I did have to add Hay on Wye as a stop to get it accurate.

Anyway, next step to get it on the Bolt. Copy the map URL and paste to a conversion app, I used GPS visualiser. Then save the gpx file. Then upload it to RWGPS and Bob's your uncle! Only thing lacking was turn by turn.

Comments

• davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 515
    Not having tbt would annoy me, so I would recreate the route on RWGPS using the Strava route as a template. If you pay for the premium verson of RWGPS you get a clunky method of doing this - as far as I understand it, it shows you a loaded route on a map so that you can drop waypoints to follow the original. Although this would be a bit simpler, it isn't enough to justify the cost of the premium membership.

Were you aware that you can change the map used for creating routes in RWGPS? I suspect that if you change the map to "OSM cycle" you would get the route that you want without any need for adjustments
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I just plan the route in Strava and let it auto-sync to my Bolt. Strava's route planning maps are pretty good and the interface is easy enough on a PC.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • patpalloon
    patpalloon Posts: 14
    I wasn't aware you could edit existing routes in RWGPS. I don't mind RWGPS but it is a bit clunky.
    Komoot seems to work ok but it's big drawback is you need to pay for regions, you only get one small area free.
    I use Strava but not for route planning so far, I didn't think it supported that.

I find tbt a bit annoying at times as if you are on another screen it pops up.

I did find a simple way of transferring my completed ride from the Bolt to Garmin Connect.
    Synched the Bolt to Dropbox. Then you can import from Dropbox to the Garmin connect website.