Garmin 520plus vs Wahoo Bolt

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

i know my 810 is irritating me, there are certain things it just cant do.

I will be buying one of the two in the title in the near future (ie this week).

Am i right in thinking that the bolt would need me to replace all 5 of my mounts as the quarter turn is differently placed?

Am i right in buying the 520 plus?

Comments

• patpalloon
    patpalloon Posts: 14
    You certainly don't need to replace your mounts. Garmin mounts will work fine with the Bolt - you just need to do a small hack. It's really simple. All you need to do is snip a little bit of plastic off diagonally opposite on the Garmin mounts and it will work fine with the Bolt, and your Garmin will still fit. This video explains it well: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0AODwvsiwIc

I did it yesterday for my 4 Garmin bike mounts and it took me less than half an hour. All you need are some wire cutters. I'm no DIY expert and believe me it was very easy. The only other thing is the quarter turn is 90 degrees out, so you just need to rotate the mount a quarter turn before securing it with the bands or your Bolt will be sideways!

I just received the Bolt yesterday. I tried the Edge 820 Explore but didn't get on with it so returned it and got the Bolt.
  • spasypaddy
    thanks for the feedback and the video, i had thought about doing that but too many of my mounts are metal or custom made so that wont work as they are out front and therefore would give me a sideways bolt.
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Out of interest, what for you is the key killer feature the 810 lacks? I'm trying to decide on whether to get a dedicated unit (as opposed to using an old phone) and want to know what people see as most beneficial about the different options.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Garnett wrote:
    Out of interest, what for you is the key killer feature the 810 lacks? I'm trying to decide on whether to get a dedicated unit (as opposed to using an old phone) and want to know what people see as most beneficial about the different options.

Because a phone looks stupid and isn't as robust as a dedicated device or as resistant to the weather as explained in the previous posts where you raised this issue.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • spasypaddy
    Garnett wrote:
    Couple of features one which has annoyed me since I bought it.

You cant start a training session (ie intervals) when you're already got a session going. Ie riding to work, see how I feel when I get to the park, feel good do session a, feel rubbish do session b. With the 810 you need to stop your ride, and start a specific interval session so you can do it. So two files are created rather than one, which can skew training data.

And it doesn't have garmin iq which is all the apps that people have created that add loads of little extras to the device. Like graphs/training schedules etc
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    philthy3 wrote:
    Because a phone looks stupid...
    Not managed to read the question, have you?
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Couple of features one which has annoyed me since I bought it...
    Thanks. That's useful.