New rear wheel or get it fixed?

CharlieV453
CharlieV453 Posts: 100
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
My rear rim just cracked on my HT so I'm looking for a new one. One of my lbs would charge 25 quid for labour and I would provide parts. The other said the spokes needed to be replaced at the same time and it would end up costing me either 120 or 140 depending on which rim I chose. I could probably cut the cost by buying the rim online and get them to fit that. They won't fit anything other than DT Swiss though. Should i get it fixed? If so what DT swiss rim would you recommend for aggresive riding under 80 pounds. Or should I get a whole new wheel? I've got a qr with a 135mm hub in 27.5 and I need it to take a 2.3/4" tyre. I'm looking for something under 140 pounds if I'm going for the whole wheel if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Superstar Components have a wheel sale on at the moment. Have a look and see if they have anything suitable.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    My local bike shop charges £40 last time to re-rim a wheel. It was exactly he same rim as the one I’d broken (crash replacement from hunt wheels) and so they managed to re-use the spokes, so £40 was all labour.

If you’re replacing with exactly the same rim then you can probably reuse your existing spikes (spending on their condition) - if it’s a different rim then allow for new spikes. So say £30 for a rim / £20 for spokes(?) / £40 for labour thats £90.

I wouldn’t be paying £120/£140 for a rim replacement - I’d be getting a new wheel for that.

Only issue might be finding a 27.5” wheel with 135mm qr - a lot of the options will be bolt through - a few places have had DT Swiss e1900 wheels for £140 ish recently but all bolt through.
  • CharlieV453
    CharlieV453 Posts: 100
    Joebristol wrote:
    My local bike shop charges £40 last time to re-rim a wheel. It was exactly he same rim as the one I’d broken (crash replacement from hunt wheels) and so they managed to re-use the spokes, so £40 was all labour.

If you’re replacing with exactly the same rim then you can probably reuse your existing spikes (spending on their condition) - if it’s a different rim then allow for new spikes. So say £30 for a rim / £20 for spokes(?) / £40 for labour thats £90.

I wouldn’t be paying £120/£140 for a rim replacement - I’d be getting a new wheel for that.

Only issue might be finding a 27.5” wheel with 135mm qr - a lot of the options will be bolt through - a few places have had DT Swiss e1900 wheels for £140 ish recently but all bolt through.
    Mine charges 25 for labour but spokes are a pound each (32 quid) and the rims they were recommending were between 60 and 80 quid each. Is that too much for a rear HT rim. I thought it was quite a lot but I feel 30 quid is too cheap.

I thought about a whole new wheel but I can only find xc offerings for under the 140. I can't see any more robust wheels for less than that.