Racing 5 replacement

Spatulala
Spatulala Posts: 291
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi I bought some new Fulcrum 5s (lg) last year and due to a suspected pothole impact, I've been told by LBS it's a goner.

Can't seem to source a rear replacement anywhere, cost of a new set is £200. I have some older 5s (non lg) on my commuter, wondering whether if there's a better option. Zondas used to be £250 but now seem like £320.

Are Zondas worth the extra (3s are more again)? Or should I learn from my mistake and mve away from factory wheels that need to be binned after one egregious pothole? Or something else in the £200-£320 range?

I'm 88kg and ride 25mm tyres. Mainly long rides in the Devon hills.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I’d consider handbuilt such as the Borg 22 from Cycle Clinic. Priced from £305, tubeless ready, a genuine lifetime warranty, crash repair for the cost of parts only (no labour charge). When rims wear out you get them replaced. Obviously there are other good wheel builders around but I can personally recommend Cycle Clinic Malcolm, a forum member.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... r-wheelset
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    Two sets of Zondas (currently have the C17) and they’ve been great. First set did have a snapped spoke though that was the only problem in over five years and other than that they never needed touching. Recently had to retire those as the rims are getting borderline. Also have the fulcrum zero and great wheels. Campag Shamals were also great.

Yes Zondas should be a noticeable upgrade to the 5’s. I believe Zondas are equivelant to the 3’s but cheaper.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Handbuilts do mean you don't have to buy whole new replacement wheels(s) due to wear or damage.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Spatulala
    Thanks all, Mr Google tells me there's a wheel builder near me called Spokesman (http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk), anyone used him or recommend another in East Devon / Exeter way?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Fulcrum replacement rims are expensive and never in stock with the distributor. Damage the rim and you might as well bin it. That goes for every model. Same applies to most brands. You can't even get replacement DT Swiss rims for there wheels
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • christimson
    christimson Posts: 37
    Have a look at the Prime Pro wheelset from Wiggle. Great wheels good value.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It surprises me that people are willing to spend £300-plus on non-rebuildable factory wheels replaced every five years - or sooner if they damage a rim. It’s a lot of money for a regular cycling expense.

My touring wheels, built in around 2003 by Paul Hewitt with Campag Record hubs - the slender bodied silver ones with grease ports - have done thousands of miles in the U.K. and Europe. Total running expense over 15 years: less than £150 for two replacement rims and a freehub/axle assembly.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Spatulala wrote:
    Hi I bought some new Fulcrum 5s (lg) last year and due to a suspected pothole impact, I've been told by LBS it's a goner.

Can't seem to source a rear replacement anywhere, cost of a new set is £200. I have some older 5s (non lg) on my commuter, wondering whether if there's a better option. Zondas used to be £250 but now seem like £320.

Are Zondas worth the extra (3s are more again)? Or should I learn from my mistake and mve away from factory wheels that need to be binned after one egregious pothole? Or something else in the £200-£320 range?

I'm not far from you, several of my friends have bought from Spokesman with no subsequent problems
  • Spatulala
    tincaman wrote:
    Spatulala wrote:

I'm not far from you, several of my friends have bought from Spokesman with no subsequent problems

OK thanks, had a great response from him to my queries, now I just need to decide between Kinlin XR31 and H plus Son Archetype rims..
  • Spatulala
    All done, for the price of the Zondas I've just ordered a pair of XR31 rims with Novatec A291SL/F482 hubs, 24/28 Sapim silver D-Light spokes with green alloy nipples. 1550g inc tape and skewers.

Just got to wait for them to be built now.

(Cue posts telling me the spokes should be black to match hubs/rims)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The kinlin is the better rim compared to the archetype. Stiffer, same weight often rounder, more aero, offset drilling for the rear, tubeless compatible do I have have to go on.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Spatulala
    The kinlin is the better rim compared to the archetype. Stiffer, same weight often rounder, more aero, offset drilling for the rear, tubeless compatible do I have have to go on.

That's encouraging. Especially the bit about being rounder ;)

I was initially drawn to the look of the Archetypes over the Kinlin's, and presumed the 31s would be heavier since deeper mid sections, but when i found they were the same weight, i plumped for the Kinlins
  • Spatulala
    New wheels collected, they look great and I can't wait to get them on the bike. Still riding the winter commuter and the summer bike's on the turbo, so may wait until I get back from the Swiss Alps in a couple of weeks (riding a hire bike for that trip).

For tubes, what valve length would you recommend on the 31mm Kinlin rims? 42 / 48 / 60mm?

And where do you buy your tubes from? I used to buy a pack of 5 or 10 Contis from Ribble many moons ago, but they don't offer 48mm valves which was my first thought on valve length.