Giro 2018: Stage 7, PIZZO - PRAIA A MARE 11 May 2018 / Friday / 159 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,828
edited May 2018 in Pro race
PIZZO - PRAIA A MARE 11 May 2018 / Friday / 159 km

Stage 7

The route is undemanding, and winds its way on a wide roadway along the ss. 18 trunk road, with just a few tunnels along the course. The long yet mild climb leading from Scalea to the -10 km mark is the only trickier part of the route. Final kilometres: from 10 to 5 km before the finish, the road is wide and well surfaced, with 3 tunnels along the way. A few hundred metres after the end of the tunnel, the route leaves the ss. 18 and passes through the centre of Tortora Marina, first, and Praia a Mare, thereafter. The route continues along wide avenues, with just two bends leading into the home straight (1,900 m, on 7.5-m wide asphalt road).
Praia a Mare hosted the arrival of stage 4 in the 2016 Giro d’Italia. Following a hilly finale Diego Ulissi soloed to victory ahead of the chasing Dutch combo Tom Dumoulin and Steven Kruijswijk. It’s unlikely that we’ll see a similar scenario unfold in 2018.

Profile:-
G18_T07_PraiaAM_alt_jpg.jpg

Map:-
giro-d-italia-2018-stage-7-map-n2-f9ea5245d2.jpg

Finish:-
G18_T07_PraiaAM_ukm_jpg.jpg
G18_T07_Praia-AM_ARR_jpg.jpg

PIZZO

A centre with 9,263 inhabitants in the province of Vibo Valentia, Pizzo is a town on the coast, perched on a cape in the middle of the Gulf of Sant’Eufemia. It is renowned for its production of an ice-cream known as “truffle” and for the quality of ice-creams in general. So much so, that Pizzo is called “the ice-cream city”.

b5c71091ed5b2c8e500e10e76e377bc1.jpg

tartufo-di-pizzo.jpg

PRAIA A MARE
In the province of Cosenza, Praia a Mare is a town with 6,871 inhabitants. Originally a densely populated village of farmers and fishermen on the narrow beaches between the Noce river, marking the border with Basilicata, and the rocky buttress beyond the floodplain of the Lao river, today it thrives mainly with tourism.
Thanks to its wide beaches and to the wonderful Isola Dino (Dino Island) is one of the most appreciated tourist destination of Southern Italy.
From 2016 Praia a Mare is Bandiera Blu (Blue Flag) which is a symbol of outstanding tourist quality in Italy.
For the second time in three years Praia a Mare is again start and finish of a stage of Giro D’Italia. In 2016 with the 99th Giro d’Italia the l’hashtag #PraiaSplende was coined and from then on it represents the sunny town and all its events which bring tourists alla over the year.
Sea, sun, entertainment, distinctive tastes and a warm welcome are waiting for you in Praia a Mare.
The seaside village Praia a Mare was founded in 1928 and used to be part of the municipality of Aieta from which its gets most of its traditions. The historical artifacts including modern and contemporary art can be found in the municipality museum. It also has a very interesting shell section and an upper Paleolithic archaeological collection coming from the surrounding area. This was found in the sanctuary “Madonna della Grotta”. To be visited: the “Fortino”, which dates back to the XVI century and was built for defense reasons by the lords of Aieta in Fumarulo; the “Torre di Fiuzzi”, built in the XV century on the sea stacks of Fiuzzi, is one of the biggest fortresses in the area, situated there to guard the coast from the Saracen raids; the “Rocca di Praia”, a fortified complex dated back to the XIV century; the sanctuary “Madonna della Grotta”, located inside the Mount Vingolo natural cave, the original wooden statue was stolen and has been replaced with a copy of the original; the “Madonna della Neve statue”, made of white marble, it dates back to the 16th century and comes from the Gagini school.

Praia_a_mare.jpg

22422554.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I have a feeling that the opening post in the spoiler thread is going to be 10 times better than the stage today.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    tartufo-di-pizzo.jpg

homer_simpson_drooling_by_dondrug-d6h081a.jpg
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • So, shall we all just assume Viviani will win and save ourselves the bother of actually watching? :? :D
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    So, shall we all just assume Viviani will win and save ourselves the bother of actually watching? :? :D

Ha my thoughts exactly,

Nice day out for the riders after the last couple of days though
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    If the wind blows off the sea there might be cross.....

meh, who am in kidding?
  • blazing_saddles
    So, it turns out the reason that Willier came home en masse, last on the road yesterday, wasn't because they were nursing Marecko, but Eduardo Zardini.
    Broken clavicle.

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?pa ... cod=111886
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    So, shall we all just assume Viviani will win and save ourselves the bother of actually watching? :? :D

Or QS decide that the break isn't worth chasing after a hard day out yesterday and with a lump just before the finish. Either way, we lose
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,903
    not sure QS want Tony martin in the break.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2018
    no soft break for tony martin...pulled back.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    peloton allow a soft break to go without tony martin in it.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Am I reading this graphic right. It seems to suggest it is the last 100m from 158.9km to 159km. When in fact the other distance markers suggest it is the last 10km.

:? :?:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors

Am I reading this graphic right. It seems to suggest it is the last 100m from 158.9km to 159km. When in fact the other distance markers suggest it is the last 10km.

:? :?:

yeah i think thats an error on their part...last 10k i think
  • blazing_saddles
    Or 9.1kms to go, as it says, next to the mistake. That's what Brian Smith said before the stage, too.

Gawd, this is dull.
  • above_the_cows
    Or 9.1kms to go, as it says, next to the mistake. That's what Brian Smith said before the stage, too.

Gawd, this is dull.

Oh that says 9.100. To much reading at 90 degrees is hard.

Anything exciting happening in the race or can I carry on reading a book?
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    I’ll have 2 of them chocolate puddings please, who delivers to central Scotland?
  • mididoctors

Gawd, this is dull.

can be like jazz a GT.

sometimes you need to get down before you get back up.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,298
    Anything at all happened? I haven't been watching today.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,648
    Could have done without that dessert photo a week into a diet!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    It's the langoustine/scampi/gamberoni (which?) and pasta that I'm fantasising about.
  • Mad_Malx
    Kirby wetting himself 7km out
  • blazing_saddles
    Can't stick this any more. Awful stage with Kirby now making the finale unwatchable.
  • Mad_Malx
    Gordon!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,563
    Bennet takes it from Viviani and Modolo...
  • mididoctors
    hair-raising run in

Bennet!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RESULT for Bennet!

(didnt he read the script :)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,298
    Good sprint that. Bennett just timed it better than Viviani.
  • Mad_Malx
    Two day PTP triumph for me by avoiding the favorites
  • above_the_cows
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Gordon!

Bennett?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Gordon!

Bennett?

Brian Smith definitely said Gordon the other day, but can't remember if that was Sam or George (former today).
  • Mad_Malx
    It's (fairly dated) idiom, in case you were wondering
    https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gordon-bennett.html