Upgrade or Refurb?

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
I've recently got back on my bike(s) after a 2 1/2 year absence, local bridleways/woods and the odd trail centre are my forte, usually 15ish miles on an evening when the child is in bed and the missus is watching telly!

I have a 2007 Rockhopper with a RS Tora spring fork and i'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading to an identical travel air fork, or is it worth having it serviced? It's never been serviced! Given that it's a pretty basic spring fork i'm not sure if its worth the hassle of being serviced. I like my Rockhopper and although its now 11 years old it has a few upgrades and I want to keep it.

I also have a 2010 Trek Fuel EX which has only ever had its 1 year (free) service on the fork and shock (both air). I'm guessing it's pretty much a certainty that I need to have these serviced by TF/Mojo.
Chain, crank, cassette, brakes I can service/replace myself in the garage but the suspension parts are beyond my capability to service. I can replace a fork, cutting a new fork down to size might be the most difficult bit!

Any advice/suggestions?
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Check with your LBS first.
    My local shop also services forks, so works out cheaper, easier and quicker than sending them away.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)