GoPro Hero - Anyone have one?

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm new to the action camera market but always fancied owning one, GoPro now have the Hero at £185 on Amazon and I was thinking of getting one.

Does anyone have one? How good are they? Is the action easy to edit? Can you overlay power data etc over the videos?

Thanks

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes I have one. Excellent (I use it for all sorts of activities from cycling to windsurfing, surfing and sailing. Yes it's very easy to edit. No idea, I've never tried.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Go pro are the industry standard.
    I don't find it very easy to edit but I'd rather ride my bike than pretend to be Spielberg. You do need a decent laptop with plenty of space to take the footage off.
    Yes you can overlay your GPS data over. It's not too difficult.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,229
    Yes, I had the Hero HD 2 and whilst a novelty to use I found the editing a nightmare and ended up with hours of unused footage.

However...I now have a nice small Hero Session 5, single button and voice activated recording which pairs to both the gopro app and the go pro quik app on my phone via bluetooth and it's a doddle to use. There is even an autoedit function so you can upload several clips and I don't know how it does it but it presents you with a perfectly watchable 60 second film which to be honest is more than enough.

It's smaller, easier to use and if you use the button on the back you can say "go pro start filming" . "go pro stop filming". "go pro take a picture" and it just works!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • supermurph09
    Yes, I had the Hero HD 2 and whilst a novelty to use I found the editing a nightmare and ended up with hours of unused footage.

However...I now have a nice small Hero Session 5, single button and voice activated recording which pairs to both the gopro app and the go pro quik app on my phone via bluetooth and it's a doddle to use. There is even an autoedit function so you can upload several clips and I don't know how it does it but it presents you with a perfectly watchable 60 second film which to be honest is more than enough.

It's smaller, easier to use and if you use the button on the back you can say "go pro start filming" . "go pro stop filming". "go pro take a picture" and it just works!

Sounds just the job, I’ll look a bit deeper. Thanks
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another Hero5Session user here. Glad I bought it, it's simple to use and a doddle to do basic edits on my phone. Only issue I've had is putting the camera in the cage on my bars the wrong way round and recording my knees going up and down.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • supermurph09
    redvee wrote:
    Another Hero5Session user here. Glad I bought it, it's simple to use and a doddle to do basic edits on my phone. Only issue I've had is putting the camera in the cage on my bars the wrong way round and recording my knees going up and down.

Noted!
  • homers_double
    Its also a lot smaller and by using this nifty little mount you can position your camera under your Garmin, assuming you have one so it's out of the way.

Also with the new cameras you can see what the view is via your phone so can get the perfect angle instead of watching three hours of either tarmac or sky.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • supermurph09
    Its also a lot smaller and by using this nifty little mount you can position your camera under your Garmin, assuming you have one so it's out of the way.

Also with the new cameras you can see what the view is via your phone so can get the perfect angle instead of watching three hours of either tarmac or sky.

Is there a Wahoo equivalent?
  • homers_double
    Advocate of disc brakes.