Garmin or Wahoo?

Comments

• davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 518
    wongataa wrote:
    The 520 has limited map space and does not do true turn by turn directions. You need routes with course points in the correct place to have turn alerts.

Rubbish. Map a route in RideWithGPS, download it as a TCX file, stick it in the New Files folder in the 520 = turn by turn directions.
    That is what thegreatdivide is saying - plan the route in RideWithGPS and the course points are automatically added for you - albeit with the same hit-and-miss that you seemingly get with any of the mapping services. If you put a plain GPX or TCX file into it - say from Strava - you don't get turn by turn directions. This is exactly the same with the Bolt, it is just that getting the course from RideWithGPS into the unit is easier with the Bolt if you use the companion app on your phone.
  • davebradswmb
    PBlakeney wrote:
    wongataa wrote:
    The 520 has limited map space and does not do true turn by turn directions. You need routes with course points in the correct place to have turn alerts. The Garmin 8xx & 1xxx series have true turn by turn (they generate the turn notifications) and can store much larger maps.

The Wahoos are like the 520 in navigation capability but they have worldwide mapping.
    I keep reading this and don't get it at all. I use Garmin Connect to generate a course which then provides me with turn by turn directions and a map (Worldwide) for the route with no extra input required.
    Maybe I just got a genius 520 by luck. :wink:
    My buddy goes to a lot of effort loading maps on and off his 520, you'll have to let him know the trick!

The Bolt comes with worldwide mapping installed, the only issue is that it has not spare space whatsoever so you have to uninstall some of the maps to be able to load routes. I think I uninstalled Australasia.
  • davebradswmb
    I came to the conclusion that software update related bugs aside, generally Garmin units are pretty robust. Many people having problems with them are down to not knowing how to use them or expecting too much out of their unit.
    I had a 500 which is reputed to be one of the more solid Garmin devices, but it wasn't trouble free. In particular it autopaused randomly on occasion, I don't mean just when I was going very slowly, but sometimes when I was doing over 20 mph. On one occasion it paused/unpaused continuously for about 5 minutes until I turned it off because it was driving me mad. It also lost the odd ride. I have been using the Bolt for 5 months now with no issues.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    My 500 has had 3 faults in the 6 or so years I've owned it:

1) USB port stopped working, got a 50% off replacement from Garmin, no quibbles, even though it was 2nd hand as I had the details of the guy I bought it off.

2) + 3) Two rides had bugs in the activity files (many years apart) which I fixed using the fit file restorer software.

As for auto pause going mental, what's the point in auto pause anyway? Strava has auto-pause built in when the files transfer from Garmin Connect.

The only downside is no wireless/bluetooth uploading capability so I can only download rides or upload routes at home as work PCs block the software - and that's pretty minor.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968
    PBlakeney wrote:
    wongataa wrote:
    The 520 has limited map space and does not do true turn by turn directions. You need routes with course points in the correct place to have turn alerts. The Garmin 8xx & 1xxx series have true turn by turn (they generate the turn notifications) and can store much larger maps.

The Wahoos are like the 520 in navigation capability but they have worldwide mapping.
    I keep reading this and don't get it at all. I use Garmin Connect to generate a course which then provides me with turn by turn directions and a map (Worldwide) for the route with no extra input required.
    My buddy goes to a lot of effort loading maps on and off his 520, you'll have to let him know the trick!

The Bolt comes with worldwide mapping installed, the only issue is that it has not spare space whatsoever so you have to uninstall some of the maps to be able to load routes. I think I uninstalled Australasia.
    I have never loaded (or unloaded) any map onto my 520.
    Garmin Connect must automatically load whatever map is required for the course created.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Agreed, the 520 is quite adequate for following a route. The only trouble is that it is more expensive than the Bolt, harder to use, can only store a limited amount of maps, has a colour screen which is harder to read in bright sunlight and runs out of battery a lot sooner.

The Bolt doesn't do mapping either, if you really want this you need the Garmin 820 or 1000 series. However it is probably easier to plan routes on a phone than on these devices, and it is very easy to then get the route onto the Bolt (or a 520 for that matter).

The Bolt does do mapping. Its admittedly a monochrome display, which is supposed to be better in bright light.

The 520 is just a breadcrumb trail overlaid on a coloured map. The memory is very limited meaning you will be continually downloading and uninstalling different maps if you do events or ride in other counties.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • StillGoing
    PBlakeney wrote:
    wongataa wrote:

That's not correct either. The Wahoo devices have plenty of memory, Routes are stored on the phone and uploaded when selected for a ride.
  • patpalloon
    patpalloon Posts: 14
    edited May 2018
    I've just got the Garmin edge 820 explore but seriously thinking about returning it while I can.
    I'm tempted to become a wahooligan. Can you upload rides with the Bolt to Garmin Connect somehow?
    All my historic rides are on there so would be good to carry on using it.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    philthy3 wrote:
    The 520 is just a breadcrumb trail overlaid on a coloured map. The memory is very limited meaning you will be continually downloading and uninstalling different maps if you do events or ride in other counties.

How often does the average UK rider go to multiple different countries? The average UK rider probably travels no more than 100 miles from their front door - if that. Throw in a yearly trip to the Blackpool of cycling (Mallorca) or a trip to France/Spain/Italy if their wife lets them. So changing a map is not an issue. It's a 5 min job.

And no, the 520 is not a breadcrumb trail in the old 500 style. Things have moved on.
  • pblakeney
    As TGD says, I did a whole week cycling though the Pyrenees using turn by turn on a map and POI.
    No problem. The Wahoo could well be better than the Garmin but there is no need for fake news.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Tiesetrotter
    Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
    Had an 800 since they first came out. Few SW crashes and the interface is a bit clunky. But it works fine. If it dies I'll buy on price.

Here we go .... yes it is a forum so re-ask the question 100 times it doesn't effing matter don't read it if you are not interested
    Campag - of course, it is superior to anything else. 3 up, 5 down instantly.

Can't remember the other whinge.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Only ever used Garmin (800 and now a 1000) and have had no issues with either, good devices. I know a number of people who have switched to Wahoo and they are all happy, I’d be tempted to try but am too invested in the garmin eco system to switch.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    The issue with the 520, aside from the non stop firmware issues which seem to plague garmin devices, is the lack of storage. So if you load a portion of a map one day you may need to delete it before you can load another (assuming you are cycling in a different area). The garmin 520 plus does solve this issue mind.

Wahoo bolt just works. Simple as that. It does everything the garmin does but is more reliable and has a much nicer interface.

If you get the garmin you might be pleased but at some point you will be frustrated. If you get the wahoo you will love it.
  • pblakeney
    redvision wrote:
    The issue with the 520, aside from the non stop firmware issues which seem to plague garmin devices, is the lack of storage. So if you load a portion of a map one day you may need to delete it before you can load another (assuming you are cycling in a different area). The garmin 520 plus does solve this issue mind.
    This is simply fake news. Please stop repeating it. I have multiple (20+) courses on my 520 and it is nowhere near full. Anyone saying otherwise is doing it wrong.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Problem with the Garmin is that when you are really relying on it working it doesn't.

The final straw was borrowing a 1000 because my 800 failed and then finding out the 1000 was completely rubbish on holiday. The 1000 I used wasn't fit for sale - navigation didn't work, well it did it stuck to any random road/path going coupled with random lock ups and that f***ing lock screen was unfuriating. I had had enough.

Gone to the bolt and not looked back.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Had my 520 for a couple of years, and a 200 before that. Did plenty of rides following the simple breadcrumb trails on the 200, including 100+ milers on roads I’d never been on before, and never had a problem following the directions. I’ve never had a software issue of any kind or any glitches whatsoever either, all my sensors and HR strap etc connect straight away every time.

With the amount of units Garmin sell, the environments they’re used in, and the variety of people using them, of course there are going to be some issues. But looking at any post on FB you’d think every Garmin unit sold was useless, which is a million miles away from the truth.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    PBlakeney wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    This is simply fake news. Please stop repeating it. I have multiple (20+) courses on my 520 and it is nowhere near full. Anyone saying otherwise is doing it wrong.

It's not fake news. It's fact.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/gar ... e-520.html

"Due to the available space on the Edge 520, you won’t be able to download a massive map area, but you can cover your usual riding territory and if you were touring you could easily cover a day or two and then reload. On a stock Edge 520 there’s approximately 54MB of free space."
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Anyone want an unused Hammhead Karoo? I bought it at the early adopter special offer price, but in reality I’ve no real need for it.
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:

How often does the average UK rider go to multiple different countries? The average UK rider probably travels no more than 100 miles from their front door - if that. Throw in a yearly trip to the Blackpool of cycling (Mallorca) or a trip to France/Spain/Italy if their wife lets them. So changing a map is not an issue. It's a 5 min job.

And no, the 520 is not a breadcrumb trail in the old 500 style. Things have moved on.

:D
  • StillGoing
    PBlakeney wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Best take it up with DC Raymaker too then.
  • StillGoing
    NorvernRob wrote:
    With the amount of units Garmin sell, the environments they’re used in, and the variety of people using them, of course there are going to be some issues. But looking at any post on FB you’d think every Garmin unit sold was useless, which is a million miles away from the truth.

As someone that has had the 705 (great), the 810 (great until the 520 came out and Garmin croaked it by piggybacking the firmware) and the 820 (absolute shite) I'm more than happy to say Garmin have been left well and truly behind by Wahoo.
  • pblakeney
    philthy3 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Best take it up with DC Raymaker too then.
    Not my problem as it works fine for me. YMMV but hey, I'm happy.
    Currently 21 courses, average 65 miles and space for more.
    FWIW, people may get confused by data. My PC says the capacity is 110.2MB but has an available space of 2.81GB. :?
    Confusing? You betcha. Ignore, and keep adding.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    He's talking about maps (so is DCRainmaker), you are talking about courses and missing the point. You would be able to load loads of courses as they take up f all space, maps take a lot more.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13079303&p=20340261#p20340261

They’re brilliant coz I bought one. Then it breaks, but it’s brilliant coz I bought one.
  • davebradswmb
    philthy3 wrote:
    That's not correct either. The Wahoo devices have plenty of memory, Routes are stored on the phone and uploaded when selected for a ride.
    Routes are automatically synced to the device from RWGPS, Strava or whatever when connected to the companion app on the phone. Once on the device they stay there, ie. You don't need to have your phone with you to be able to be able to select and use a route.

When I first synced routes to my Bolt I definitely got a warning that I had to uninstall some maps. Perhaps it's because I already had a fair few routes on Strava (though I don't think it's that many). I didn't bother investigating the reason at the time, just got on with uninstalling the maps. I've loaded a fair few routes since with no problems.
  • pblakeney
    mfin wrote:
    He's talking about maps (so is DCRainmaker), you are talking about courses and missing the point. You would be able to load loads of courses as they take up f all space, maps take a lot more.
    Right. Let’s be clear with facts. Not opinions or stuff read elsewhere.
    I have followed courses with maps and turn by turn directions in the UK, Mallorca and the Pyrenees using my 520.
    I have multiple courses with maps on my 520.
    I have never manually loaded any maps onto my 520.
    My 520’s memory has never been full.
    Whenever I toggle between screens the map one will show my location on a map.
    I just had a look. There was my location. Zoom out, look there is the UK. Zoom out further, look there is Europe.
    To be fair, it did stop at that point but I doubt anyone could follow a map at that zoom level. :wink:
    In summary, like, whatever.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    philthy3 wrote:

How big a map you can fit on one depends on how much detail is in them. If you live ion a big city (such as London) You may not be able to fit a large enough map to cover rides from your house. If you live in the countryside somewhere this is less likely to be an issue.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    I have an 820 and honestly as a bit of a techy who likes his gadgets.... It's fucking awful.

The touch screen is horrendous. The mapping is horrendous. God forbid you take a wrong turn the thing will spend 45 minutes recalculating and probably crash in the process. And yes I know you can disable the recalculating and instead keep cycling towards the line and hope that a) you find it or b) you were on the right road all along but it thinks you are off-piste as it were.

Unfortunately as far as cycle computers go there isn't anything that really solves these problems to my satisfaction.

So I live in hope that one day Garmin will release something which is on par with a smart phone from 2008.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Right. Let’s be clear with facts. Not opinions or stuff read elsewhere.
    I have followed courses with maps and turn by turn directions in the UK, Mallorca and the Pyrenees using my 520.
    I have multiple courses with maps on my 520.
    I have never manually loaded any maps onto my 520.
    My 520’s memory has never been full.
    Whenever I toggle between screens the map one will show my location on a map.
    I just had a look. There was my location. Zoom out, look there is the UK. Zoom out further, look there is Europe.
    To be fair, it did stop at that point but I doubt anyone could follow a map at that zoom level. :wink:
    In summary, like, whatever.

As you say, you've never loaded any maps. People like to load better alternative maps than the provided ones, and when you select these maps to grab what area you want so that you have the file ready to upload to the 520 you see that the file size will exceed the storage of the 520 so you have to compromise on the map's total area to something that will fit on the 520.

This is being clear with facts as you put it. You haven't experienced the problem because it doesn't sound like you are doing what loads of people do and that DCrainmaker tried to do too and pointed out was a weakness. You've got a bit ratty there out of naivety and talking at cross purposes I'm afraid.
  • pblakeney
    Not ratty in the slightest. I simply don’t see any point in uploading a higher resolution map if what Garmin provides is adequate. Don’t fix what ain’t broke.
    Veronese68 wrote: