Vittoria Voyager - Are these 2 tyres the same? Any Good?

itaa
itaa Posts: 61
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Needed low rolling resistance new tyres for my other summer cruiser bike,
originally dismissed the Voyager Hypers as they were quite expensive and the ones from schwalbe offered more bang for the $.

However now came upon these reduced? Vittoria Voyager wired oners

The Folding Hypers get insanely good rolling resistance:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... hyper-2016

However Are the Folding ones and the wired ones are the same and would give the same performance/rolling resistance or they are actually 2 very different tyres?

Here are the 2:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/ ... lding-tyre
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOWT/ ... wired-tyre

The thread looks a little bit different on them?
What's the deal with them? Anyone knows?

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I run the 35mm folding versions and rate them highly, as they give a plush ride and reasonably fast. Cant say whether the folding and wired tyres are tbe same, but would go with the folding version every time. PX often do them as low as £14.99 though. I've since swapped to 32mm WTB Exposure tubeless, but dont find a great deal of difference. The Hyoers seem to go on forever too...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I have the Voyager Hyper folding in 32mm bought a year ago from Planet X for less than £30 the pair inc postage. They roll well, fit easily and give a really comfortable ride, no doubt due to the supple 120 tpi casing and the fact that they come up quite a bit wider than their nominal size - the biggest 32 tyres I've ever used on my tourer. I had to switch to wider mudguards. The wired version also has a 120 tpi casing so I guess the rolling resistance and feel is identical. They would just be a bit heavier than the folding version. I have read forum comments from people complaining that grip on the Hypers is poor on wet or muddy roads, perhaps due to lack of tread. Others (and me) say they are fine.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    I’m also running 32mm folding Hypers. Not had a problem in the wet. As you say they roll well for a big tyre.
    Are the wire beaded ones really 120tpi or is that a Planet X typo? I’d check before buying.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I’m also running 32mm folding Hypers. Not had a problem in the wet. As you say they roll well for a big tyre.
    Are the wire beaded ones really 120tpi or is that a Planet X typo? I’d check before buying.

I think you may be right, Veronese68. Just checked an old Chicken brochure (they were the Vittoria importers) and the standard wire beaded Voyagers are said to be 30 tpi, compared with the 120 tpi quoted for Voyager Hyper folding. Looks like Planet X might be wrong in their description. The 120 folding versions are, in my view, the ones to go for. As stated on the bicyclerollingresistance review, the 120 versions are effectively a road racing tyre in a wider size. I think most people would feel a difference in riding quality between 30 and 120 tpi.