Carbon Forks - How much Comfort? VS Cheap actual suspension.

itaa
itaa Posts: 61
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
I have 2 cheap front suspension bikes ( they are there cheapest junk suspensions there are...)
However, they are miles better in comfort than a bike I have access to which has no front suspension.

I hear people talking about the carbon forks and that they provide vibration damping and all that stuff...
all my suspension usage comes to maybe 5-10mm usage? So even the cheapest junk is really nice bonus in the way the bike feels and that's all I need.

How does a Carbon fork on a Decent bike Compares to something like this for only very small actual suspension usage?
Will the crap suspension still give better ''results'' VS a non suspension carbon fork?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on the carbon fork (or any front fork) really.

The tubular MTB type are super rigid with very little give, the bladed type can be quite comfortable, Mosso Aluminium forks have quite a lot of give and are good at absorbing trail buzz but not upto big hits.

Cheap forks barely move, have lots of stiction and usually have no damping, they can often be worse than rigid forks.

What is best for you depends very much on the surfaces you ride and the rest of the bike, having some bigger tyres up front and at a lowish pressure will provide more give than any rigid fork and most cheap suspension forks and may actually account more for the differences between the bikes you've ridden than the forks!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.