What Pedals? Fancy a change from Look

mr_mojo
mr_mojo Posts: 200
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
I have used Look pedals since the late 1980’s and fancy a change. I have been using the latest Keo carbon blade pedals but after them developing squeaks and clicking noises I fancy trying something different. The first version did the same too when I had them.

What would people suggest changing to? My initial choice was the Shimano DA 9100 as it would match the Groupset but open to suggestion. Would be wanting something light and within reason cost not important.

Comments

• banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I use Exustar pedals cheaper and lighter than Shimano, bearings seem to last ok.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    shimano tend to last better at all levels (their best value are the 105 5800's or the 550's ( a 10 gram per set heavier than the 105's)). the cleats are better for standing in and last longer. I've run ultegra/ 105/ dura ace over a number of bikes, over a number of years, and they've been rock solid.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I’ve just gone from look keo blades to dura ace. The difference is night and day. Dura ace are a little heavier but better in every other way.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • mr_mojo
    Thank you for your recommendations. I’m thinking of something different, Speedplay Zero’s with the stainless steel spindles.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Spd-sl, basically look done well.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Mr_Mojo wrote:
    Thank you for your recommendations. I’m thinking of something different, Speedplay Zero’s with the stainless steel spindles.

Go for it. I switched to Speedplay from Look Neo many years ago and never looked back. Easier to clip in and out of, especially when setting off on an incline and the float control is good for the knees. I use the stainless variants and have never had any problems with them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Just swapped from Look after 2 years, now on Dulight Speedplays and really enjoying them.

Massively different and feel like you’re floating on the pedal rather than being welded to it like the Looks. Takes a while to get used to, but over all, very happy and knees feel great.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Go for the Speedplays, either with the walkable cleats or some Keep on Kovers.
  • coops1967
    coops1967 Posts: 99
    Try the cheapest alloy speedplays first - then once you decide they're the mutt's nuts...

Go full on and get the Stainless steel Pave version - no worries about mud/crap making clipping in a problem, and also get the walkable cleats - and some Speedplay specific Lake shoes ;-)
  • Has anyone used Time pedals? Reviews always seem to be pretty positive other than the cleats wearing quite fast, but I don't think I've ever seen a pair in the flesh...
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    Another one here for Speedplay. Great for dialling in perfect position, and never a missed clip. Tried Looks and just couldn’t get on with them, or the constant creaks.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    Has anyone used Time pedals? Reviews always seem to be pretty positive other than the cleats wearing quite fast, but I don't think I've ever seen a pair in the flesh...

I use Time Xpresso 6's and they are great. I've done probably 4000 miles on them with no issues what-so-ever. Really light, look nice and obviously a little different too.

The cleats do wear a little fast and I replaced them twice last year, but other than that they are a great alternative to the usual suspects.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • mr_mojo
    An update. I went with Speedplay Zero's with stainless steel spindals. Pedals fitted to bike but need I to fit cleats to my shoes so not used yet. Surprised how small they are and not too bad weight wise at 105g each. Thanks for all the advice.