Bike Chain Stupidity?

samfailed
samfailed Posts: 82
edited May 2018 in Workshop
I'm a complete moron when it comes to bike maintenance and I may have done something pretty stupid...

I decided to change to the chain on my Wilier Montegrappa Elite and purchased a Shimano 10-speed chain. The chain was too long so I removed about eight links and put the chain on. I simply pushed out a pin from my old chain and then reinserted it to my new chain to attach the chain together. It was not until afterwards that I noticed that there was some special pin that came with the new chain.

Have I done something ridiculously stupid here or will it be OK?

Also, I have since noticed that the bike originally came with a KMC 10-speed chain, not a Shimano one... will this make any difference?

I have a long history of bike maintenance mishaps which includes my rear wheel coming out whilst I was sprinting up a steep hill. Is there any chance my chain is going to snap whilst under pressure because of what I've done?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will come out - you need to use the proper joining pin, or better yet, use a KMC master link.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,700
    There's a good chance it will, I believe that's why they use the special joining pin. Must admit I find that way of joining a chain a faff and tend to buy KMC chains and use the split link as it's much easier. If you can find where you joined the chain buy a split link and take out the one you joined. If you can't either buy a KMC chain or risk it. If you decide to risk it consider doubling up on shorts so you have extra padding in case of a tescticle/top tube incident.
  • samfailed
    samfailed Posts: 82
    The chain I'm using now isn't KMC, it's the Shimano one. Does that make any difference?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,700
    No, you can still use a KMC quick link, just get the right one for the number of speeds you have. Think you said 10 speed.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    If it makes you feel any better, my current chain is a 10-speed Shimano HG54 and it's linked together by a KMC quick link. It's done ~2000 miles worth of winter commutes plus club rides since November and hasn't exploded yet.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    samfailed wrote:
    The chain I'm using now isn't KMC, it's the Shimano one. Does that make any difference?

Yeah, about another 52 KMC links should do it... brave lad trusting Shimano chainware.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    nothing wrong with shimano chains.

grab a 10 speed kmc link and pop it in and all will be perfect.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    samfailed wrote:
    I simply pushed out a pin from my old chain and then reinserted it to my new chain to attach the chain together. It was not until afterwards that I noticed that there was some special pin that came with the new chain.

Been doing that for years. Never used the little pin provided. Simply wind out one of the pins until it sits in the outer chain plate (not ALL the way out) then line up the new bit of chain and rejoin by winding it back in again. Haven't had a problem.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Did you push the pin all the way out or just far enough to remove the links and push back in from the far side? If the latter and you were careful it will likely be fine TBH. Next time, just use the joining pin. Quick-links are not necessary IMO except as a road-side repair item.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D