Sorry, yet another new mtb bike question from a roadie looking to diversify (Cannondale fan) ..

Spartacus1981
Spartacus1981 Posts: 254
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all,

I'll try not to ramble. I work in the cycling industry and live in Spain. I'm a road cyclist.

Basically I really want (like really want) to buy a MTB anytime now. I am fortunate to be able to get industry discounts or trade prices on a good number of brands, the brand I generally love is Cannondale so I'd quite like to stick with them.

I know quite little about mtb's but am an experienced cyclist, have tried mtb (just hardtail) and really like it. The things I am thinking about are the obvious questions such as .. Carbon or alloy, full sus or hardtail, size, etc etc. Where I am atm the mtb is quite 'rocky' apparently, and apparently a full sus is much better ? I have had both alu and carbon road bikes and love both so an alu model wouldn't be out the question. Also, eventually I will probably end up taking the bike back to UK so I want it to be able to cope there (can't see that being a problem) ..

Ok so I want a 'do-it-all' kind of Cannondale model if that helps and I'm led to believe that the ones I should be looking at are the Habit or the Trigger ? But then looking at them they look quite different. I love to climb and descend, but am not a typical racing snake build, as more muscular I guess .. Originally I was thinking 29'er (don't ask why) but it seems all of these are 27.5. How much does this actually matter ?

Budget will be around 2k pounds. So was looking at the following models as they fall into this budget with my discount (last two are slighty over budget but I'd rather buy once) ..

https://www.cannondale.com/en/Internati ... =undefined

https://www.cannondale.com/en/Internati ... 3eaccd6b7e

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ ... =undefined

https://www.cannondale.com/en/Internati ... =undefined

To be honest I don't really care what name they give it, Scalpel etc. I want it to be able to suit my needs. Basically up and down action, off piste a bit but no crazy crazy downhilling like red bull or whatever, but that can also cope well at mtb centres in wales and uk on the trails ...

If you wan't to burst my Cannondale bubble I wont cry if you have other brands I should be considering or where I can get better value for the type of bike I'm looking for ?

All advice appreciated ..

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Cannondale scalpel, 29, and if in your budget, then lefty fork and carbon frame. Nice and light, will do all the tasks you ask it to (except crazy downhill stuff)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have a look at Orbea bikes. One of the Occam range may suit your needs and being in Spain the prices might be more favourable.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    The way I see these,

Scalpel - XC focused bike with shortish travel which will be efficient and will be fine for single track and some more demanding trails. Blues and Reds perhaps

Habit - Balanced mid travel trail bike which will be great fun on the trails and still feel lively/playful due to the 130mm travel and 27.5 wheel size. Not massively slack at 68 degree head angle which would be great on twisty single track and still climb well.

Trigger - All Mountain bike with some focus on enduro riding 66 degree head and 150mm travel + longer wheelbase so it should take bigger hits and plough through anything and remain stable.

If this is your first MTB, I would suggest the Habit out of these three. To me it looks like a bike which will be very fun on most trails without giving you the feeling that you are over biked. If you decide to ride big mountains with rocky descents, or ploughing through rock gardens may be the Trigger could be a better option.
    I don't know about Spain but in the UK the Habit will be capable enough for 90% of your riding.