Aero frame fit

gnave
gnave Posts: 65
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hey All,

I am in the market for a second bike, this time I am looking at an aero frame.

At 183Cm hight, long legs and short arms, I sometimes find it problematic to find the frame that fits me. As I currently ride a canyon ultimate (size Large) I was looking to get another Canyon, this time the Aerod

I recently contacted my bike fitter who seems to think my body is not going to fit the Aeroad frame and trying to push me towards different brands.

the ultimate Geometry in size large (my current bike)

Seat tube length 554
Top tube length 571
Head tube length 174
Stack 592
Reach 399
As this is an integrated stem(you cant go any shorter)I run 90 lengths and 390 width.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2018/ultimate-cf-slx-disc-8-0-di2.html

The Aeroad in size large for comparison

Frame size L

Seat tube length 551
Top tube length 572
Head tube length 167
Stack 570
Reach 403

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/aeroad/aeroad-cf-slx-disc-9-0-di2.html

The Aeroad being an integrated stem as well means the shorter I can go is 90 lengths and 390 width.

I think the main concern is the different in Reach, again, Short arms and all.

Has anyone has a similar experience. although my bike fitter is very reputable, I am concerned they are trying to sell me one of the brands they work with.

I was thinking to maybe go and have an additional fit on a jig and see what i come back with....

Comments

• Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    I have the aeroad. The bike runs large so if you are between sizes definitely go smaller.

KEEP IN MIND THE STEM IS LONGER THAN WHAT THEY SAY IT IS. They say my stem should have effective length of 90mm, but it actually measures 105mm, which worked out well for me because I needed a longer stem. You can always throw the integrated bars out for a more conventional setup.

Stack wise it is very low, very aggressive. Even as a racer, I found riding with the full stack of spacers a bit uncomfortable. It give me the kind of back pain that I experienced when I first slammed the stem on my first ever road bike with a very relaxed geometry. But as my core got stronger, it went away of course.

I definitely agree with your bike fitter that althe aeroad isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean other bikes from canyon doesn't work. Go with what you want.

PS while the aeroad may be a fast bike, it is one SCARY thing in the corners, CONFIDENCE is no where to be found on the aeroad, it has speed, and that's it.
  • gnave wrote:
    I recently contacted my bike fitter how seems to think my body is not going to fir the frame and trying to push me towards different brands.

What reasons did they give?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gnave
    As @andymaxy quoted "KEEP IN MIND THE STEM IS LONGER THAN WHAT THEY SAY IT IS"

Going for an Aerod in size large means I will be a lot more stretched out. Reach is additional 4CM then what I currently ride. With the limiting factor of an integrated stem, it does not leave a lot of space for manoeuvring.

Going of a medium size frame aeroad means the seat will need to be raised almost to its max height. due to my long legs and the shorter cranks delivered with the medium frame.

Modifying a canyon with other parts makes the all cost-saving canyon purchase redundant.

The fitter is trying to direct me towards Track madone. The only downside is the BB90 (Bottom bracket) and no disk version.

"we need to make the bike fit the person, not the person fit the bike"
  • Sounds like they are advising well. You know you don't have to keep the integrated stem/ bars?

I'm not sure why BB90 and no disk version is a downside.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Sounds like they are advising well. You know you don't have to keep the integrated stem/ bars?

I asked MF and he agreed with Sloppy - no downside at all to that. In fact, as MF said, some people see it as an upside.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gnave
    Sounds like they are advising well. You know you don't have to keep the integrated stem/ bars?

Replacing the integrated stem/bar means an additional expanse essentially making the canyon purchase not as attractive in more than one way :)

BB90 Based on reviews has its own problems (None are based on my experience) https://www.kogel.cc/blogs/kbba/listing-the-most-common-problems-with-bottom-bracket-standards-part-2

And last but not list Disk VS RIM - This is not a discussion about brake quilty or weight etc. It is more along the lines of securing the bike purchases for the coming years. I sense that the bike industry is pushing hard for the disk as the main form of braking technology so will the wheels manufacturers essentially leaving us with less will be less option for rim wheels.
  • gnave wrote:

Replacing the integrated stem/bar means an additional expanse essentially making the canyon purchase not as attractive in more than one way :)

BB90 Based on reviews has its own problems (None are based on my experience) https://www.kogel.cc/blogs/kbba/listing-the-most-common-problems-with-bottom-bracket-standards-part-2

And last but not list Disk VS RIM - This is not a discussion about brake quilty or weight etc. It is more along the lines of securing the bike purchases for the coming years. I sense that the bike industry is pushing hard for the disk as the main form of braking technology so will the wheels manufacturers essentially leaving us with less will be less option for rim wheels.

Those integrated bars usually sell for a premium second hand.

I sense the bike industry is failing in its attempt to make disk brake the standard for road bikes
  • gnave
    gnave wrote:

Those integrated bars usually sell for a premium second hand.

I sense the bike industry is failing in its attempt to make disk brake the standard for road bikes

I don't know.. Have you watched the resent GIro?

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/giro-d-italia/2018/elia-viviani-wins-stage-2-as-rohan-dennis-takes-pink_sto6740855/story.shtml
    https://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/a-mechanics-view-of-disc-brakes-in-the-peloton/

I guess time will tall
  • Not sure why you keep posting links. Almost like you're astroturfing.
  • gnave
    Not sure why you keep posting links. Almost like you're astroturfing.

Not at all, I should probably post some counter opinions links to appear more middle ground. I think articles can add to the quality of discussion. Isn't that what a forum is all about?

I appreciate all your opinions and input.
  • Joaaso
    Joaaso Posts: 15
    If you want components in different sizes than what the specific framesize is delivered with, they should normally help you return and get a refund and order a different sized component for the same cost. They'll even help you with papers for tax-refund for the original part. Got my cockpit replaced that way myself. Contact them and hear what they can do for you.

As for the sizing, it sounds like you have longer legs than I have, but fwiw; I sit very comfortably on an Aeroad XS (w/100/410 cockpit), despite being only 1cm shorter than you (83 inseam and 61 arms). Give the calculator on competitivecyclist.com a try ("The Competitive Fit" seems well suited for the Aeroad), in my case it's recommended measurements was quite spot on the XS w/100 cockpit. Canyon's own calculator told me size M by comparison..
  • Andymaxy
    Joaaso wrote:
    If you want components in different sizes than what the specific framesize is delivered with, they should normally help you return and get a refund and order a different sized component for the same cost. They'll even help you with papers for tax-refund for the original part. Got my cockpit replaced that way myself. Contact them and hear what they can do for you.

As for the sizing, it sounds like you have longer legs than I have, but fwiw; I sit very comfortably on an Aeroad XS (w/100/410 cockpit), despite being only 1cm shorter than you (83 inseam and 61 arms). Give the calculator on competitivecyclist.com a try ("The Competitive Fit" seems well suited for the Aeroad), in my case it's recommended measurements was quite spot on the XS w/100 cockpit. Canyon's own calculator told me size M by comparison..

Ive got 80cm inseam, and ride just fine on XS with 90(definitely measures longer than 90)/390. Canyons own calculator recommended xs. My bike fitter recommended xs or s provided that I change the integrated bar and stem. I went for the xs knowing that if I want to go lower than what my current flexibility allow, I have the option too. I was expecting to have to swap the bar and stem combo out for something that has a longer reach, but since the stem is longer than what they said, I decided to keep it, so far worked out very well.
  • Andymaxy
    By the way a willier cento10air could actually work out very well for you. That was the alternative I was looking at before I decided to go for the aeroad, but the geometry really didn't work out for me.
  • gnave
    Andymaxy wrote:
    By the way a willier cento10air could actually work out very well for you. That was the alternative I was looking at before I decided to go for the aeroad, but the geometry really didn't work out for me.

Digging out some of my PPS data

Body height: 183
    Inseam: 88
    Body weight: 87
    Shoulder width: 45
    Arm length: 61
    Torso length: 66

Canyon calculator Say Medium size. Past experience of the Canyon calculator is not positive. When I purchased my Canyon Ultimate I was advice for the medium size frame. This was unsuitable for my leg length soi had to change the frame to large.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    The reach is only 4 MM NOT 4CM difference (at least in the frame). If the bars are the same then you will be 4MM more stretched out. This is certainly not much at all.

Double check with your fitter but what he MAY have had an issue with is the 2.2cm difference in STACK (how high the bars are). If on your current bike you are running many/any spacers you might quickly find yourself with too many spacers to be safe (or it will at least affect the handling).
  • Joaaso
    Andymaxy wrote:
    Ive got 80cm inseam, and ride just fine on XS with 90(definitely measures longer than 90)/390.
    Yeah, 90 stem wasn't the problem for me either, it was the 390 width I didn't want, coming from 100/420.
  • Joaaso
    edited May 2018
    gnave wrote:
    Body height: 183
    Inseam: 88
    Body weight: 87
    Shoulder width: 45
    Arm length: 61
    Torso length: 66

Canyon calculator Say Medium size. Past experience of the Canyon calculator is not positive. When I purchased my Canyon Ultimate I was advice for the medium size frame. This was unsuitable for my leg length soi had to change the frame to large.
    You certainly need more saddle height than me then ;) What's your current BB-saddle height? If you're able to arrange with canyon to swap out the crankset with one that has the crank arm length you want (*edited), do you think a smaller size could work for you? Forgot to mention mine is a custom build, only bought the frameset, so crank arm length wasn't a factor I had to consider in relation to the framesize.. The Aeroad is very long, almost equals the reach of one size larger Ultimate's, so don't go larger than absolutely necessary.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Changing crank length to fit a bike seems absolutely crazy to me. Buy a bike (and cranks) that FIT you.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    gnave wrote:
    As @andymaxy quoted "KEEP IN MIND THE STEM IS LONGER THAN WHAT THEY SAY IT IS"

Going for an Aerod in size large means I will be a lot more stretched out. Reach is additional 4CM then what I currently ride. With the limiting factor of an integrated stem, it does not leave a lot of space for manoeuvring.

Going of a medium size frame aeroad means the seat will need to be raised almost to its max height. due to my long legs and the shorter cranks delivered with the medium frame.

Modifying a canyon with other parts makes the all cost-saving canyon purchase redundant.

The fitter is trying to direct me towards Track madone. The only downside is the BB90 (Bottom bracket) and no disk version.

"we need to make the bike fit the person, not the person fit the bike"

Disc Madone coming this year, probably be announced week before TdF.
  • Joaaso
    joey54321 wrote:
    Changing crank length to fit a bike seems absolutely crazy to me. Buy a bike (and cranks) that FIT you.
    Obviously wasn't precise enough, it wasn't a question of changing from what he has today (adapting to a different length), but replacing the crankset that follow the framesize with the one that has the crank arm length he wants..