dura ace power meter (pioneer) fail

philbar72
philbar72 Posts: 2,229
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Was out riding all weekend, but went for an especially long one on Monday. good group, and was feeling good generally. did a couple of sign sprints and noticed that my power meter wasn't reporting the right numbers. heard a pinging noise just before the PM started reporting odd numbers. then replaced the battery. still nothing, the crank felt ok. so I resolved to sort the issue at home when I got back.

2 miles to go on the way home the entire crank arm fractures underneath me when I'm getting out of the saddle, it literally folds inwards. I hit the floor and am a bit shaken up but nothing too serious.

the crank is still bolted to the main pedal assembly, but the arm is attached to my spd-sl's on my shoes.

I've sent an e-mail to Pioneer, and will be going to Evans tonight, to see what can be done. needless to say I think I won't be going for light cranks any more as these literally folded, it was a very weird sensation...
instagram shows what happened...

https://instagram.com/p/Biexc5mBHzB/

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ooof - that's bad. Thank god you weren't badly hurt !
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Pleased you're ok. the actual failure is the Shimano crank and not really a Pioneer power meter failure. Pioneer will just buy the cranks from Shimano. Hope you are successful with your claim with Evans, I understand there isn't a UK Pioneer distributor anymore.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Bl00dy hell! I have never seen a crank arm fail like that.

Glad you're ok.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Mr Mojo you are right. the issue I think is the cranks are actually well made, but can't withstand certain stresses. the lads at evans were stunned. they'd never seen anything like it. I sent it to Pioneer and they said the samething as you. its the alloy and the bonding process that is at fault very probably. check your cranks folks.
    having said that I'm going to go with a sturdier set of cranks in future as I know I generate a lot of torque. wondering what the best ones to go with are?