Campagnolo standard double into compact

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited May 2018 in Workshop
I ride a Campagnolo Record 10-speed standard double (53T, 39T) on my Italian steel frame, but want a more gentle compact 50T, 34T.

I don’t think Campagnolo compact chain rings will fit on a standard double crankset. They also seem pretty expensive.

https://www.slanecycles.com/campagnolo- ... 27541.html

So, c£150 for two. And then there is the BCD compatibility.

But there may be other options, such as these Stronglite cranks:

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.ph ... 2b0s109p45

I have quite a few square tapered bottom brackets.

At present it has a Chorus 102mm cartridge BB and fits the cranks perfectly.

I also have a Campagnolo Centaur cartridge BB at 111mm.

And two older BBs: a Gipiemme 115mm and a Shimano Italian thread 115mm (my guess is that these were for triples).

The Stronglite cranks would fit deeper on the Campagnolo axle by 4.5mm.

This means it would run against the frame on the Chorus BB, but might work OK with the Centaur BB. (Although the chain line may not be as perfect as what I have now.)

Or would I save myself a lot of grief in getting a new Campagnolo compact crankset, which would fit the Chorus BB?

And where can they be found? eBay is full of standard doubles and the odd triple.

Comments

• There are very, very few Record/Chorus compact cranksets around that will fit the 102mm BB you have fitted.

Also, the Stronglight cranks use a JIS taper - the Campagnolo ones use an ISO taper, so you'd need a different bottom bracket anyway, and lastly, I don't think they make from for an Italian thread (though I could be wrong there).

Your best option is either buying a new crankset, or waiting for one to come up second hand. Any 11-speed crankset will work just fine - 10 speed compact ones are relatively rare.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Thanks. I should have said: I could fit the Centaur BB 111mm with a Shimano crankset (Stronglight) and see whether that works. I actually have a Shimano compact on another bike which I could take off for a general size guide.

A Shimano crankset would fit an additional 4.5mm down the axle, so it may work out ...

On the other had, the bike looks lovely and retro with the standard double.

Could I not get a similar benefit but just fitting a cassette with 13T-29T range?

I am not getting any younger and the steel frame already means I am pulling more weight than most in the club, who are on modern carbon. I am getting dropped on hills in the summer, which is annoying as I hold on easily on the winter bike (a alu/carbon Trek).
  • Chorus compact carbon cranks were also available in 36-50 around 2004 . I run these as you stay on the inner ring a bit longer. When a 34 inner wears out you can always change to a 36.
    T.A do a Nerius set in black which wear better than the campag .
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    I did the same as what you are considering. Always ran campag square taper bb's with a standard chainset, looked around for an old campag square taper compact without success. In the end I bought a 10 speed shimano 105 hollowtech chainset. I know some riders can't bare to mix shimano parts with their campag groupsets though! It works for me and the bb's are cheap and easy to replace compared to power torque etc. an FSA chainset may be worth considering?
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will