Long Ride (100 mile) shorts

shooter999
shooter999 Posts: 143
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

Looking for what people use on 100 mile plus bike rides.

I've got a pair of Endura FS260 Pro and Assos Mille.

Of the 2 pairs, I find the Endura far more comfortable than the Assos, which was disappointing considering the price. The ride gets uncomfortable after about 60 miles with the Assos, whilst the Endura are more comfortable up to the 100 mile mark.

Looking for recommendations on what everyone else uses when they have a big ride planned.

I also prefer standard shorts to bib shorts, but dont let this influence your replies!

I need to buy another pair soon, so looking for some recommendations.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Shooter999 wrote:
    Hi All,

Of the 2 pairs, I find the Endura far more comfortable than the Assos, which was disappointing considering the price.

Says it all really. What's comfy for you might not be for me.

I had an earlier pair of the Endura and they were fine for long rides. A pair of Exteondo were better. My current Ale are very comfy. These were all about £80.

I have a pair of Santini Garmin bibs which were sold off after a change of sponsor. Cost me £14 from eBay. Dead comfy!
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Altura bib shorts and jerseys, with lots of chamois cream.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I like the dhb kit. Never bother with chamois cream nowadays.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    OP, I'm in exactly the same position. I keep going back to the Endura, have decided I don't like the Assos.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I use endura FS 260 and i am loving it. I am looking also for a 2nd pair and a friend told me about giordana, he is doing regularly rides up to 200km, and he is very pleased.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Pactimo are the best I've tried.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The old Endura F260 were fine. Since then I've been a user of Castelli and Champion Systems. I used Giordana once for a century ride and they were fine too.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    La Passione bibshorts. I have various makes and styles, but if I'm doing a long ride, then I'll wear one of my two pairs of these. They have made more styles and variations since I bought mine, but they all use the Cytech pads, which is the thing that makes them stand out for me.

https://www.lapassione.cc/collections/m ... bib-shorts

The ones I got are now known as the 'Classic LX bibshort', and have a slightly waffle texture to some of the panels, which tbh I'd stay away from as it does bobble after a while. The classic bibshorts at £88 are good value, but they do free shipping over £90, so if you stretch to either the £92 or £97 versions, you'd probably spend the same anyway. Plus you can get 10% the first order if you sign up to the mailing list (although not sure if getting 10% off would then take you below the £90 free shipping limit, in which case you could go for the top of the range PSN)
  • Alé for me. But, as others have said, all depends what fits you.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd have said if you find the FS260s comfortable for 100 miles, get some more of those.

I've currently got a pair of the cheapest Assos, and some La Passione, and find both splendidly comfy. I'll likely try Castelli next; I've got some other Castelli gear and I'm really impressed by the fit, details, fabrics and their function.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Castelli Free Aero Race were by far my most comfortable shorts but they don't make them any more and I am not sure what the replacement was. I wasn't a big fan of the graphics.

I think that getting the saddle right is more important than the shorts.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Castelli Free Aero Race were by far my most comfortable shorts but they don't make them any more and I am not sure what the replacement was. I wasn't a big fan of the graphics.

I think that getting the saddle right is more important than the shorts.

You can still get Free Aero bibshorts but they redesigned them in 2015 and I dont like the 'new' version with the large mesh leg gripper - doesnt stretch as much and not very comfy. Luckily when I realised that I was still able to buy up several pairs of the old design which is/was fabulous.

I didnt get on with some Rapha shorts I bought in a sale but have a couple of pairs of old Altura shorts which are great, if not as good as the pad in the free aeros.

Etxeondo are great - my son has them and loves them.

But if the Endura work for you then why mess around trying to find an alternative?
  • blackstar500
    blackstar500 Posts: 139
    I am interested in shorts for Long rides too ..How do you tell what pad size one requires .. I am interested in the Endura Fs260
  • I am interested in shorts for Long rides too, are there special shorts for 150 mile, 200 mile and 400 mile as well?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I am interested in shorts for Long rides too ..How do you tell what pad size one requires .. I am interested in the Endura Fs260

https://www.endurasport.com/technology/pad-fit/
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    The most comfortable shorts I have are the Sportful Total Comfort. They take a few rides to bed in, will feel a bit stiff at first.

Being a heavy rider (120kg) the contact between my arse and seat is quite important. I did a 240km ride on them and my arse was no a problem. My feet on the other hand.... red. hot. pain.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I like Funkier bib shorts - very comfy and look good - don't cost the earth either.
  • adlopa
    adlopa Posts: 37
    I've so far worn wear Assos for long (200k+) rides. The pad shape and type seem to suit my backside well (unlike Rapha's), although a good bum cream is also essential for me. I'd like to think the more expensive the short, the better the pad - I've worn DHB on 100s before, and regretted it - but everyone's bum is different.

That said, I still get sore spots over my sit bones, but *how* sore seems to depend more on the saddle. Last weekend's 400k ended with a very sore (but only superficially so – no surface damage) bum, but I don't think any shorts fare well when the pad has been soaked with sweat and bum cream for 20-odd hours.

I'm about to get the Sportful Total Comfort Bibshort (http://road.cc/content/review/241432-sp ... t-bibshort) though, which I'll be wearing for a 200 in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping they'll be as good as the Assos T Cento S7 Shorts (£££) I was also looking at to replace my ageing (but great) Assos T Equipe S7.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Endura FS260 are great shorts. Wyndymilla shorts are also very nice and available in a multitude of colours as long as its pink.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Rapha Brevet for me, although if I’m honest the front is a bit high and makes going for a pee hard work.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Exteondo for me. Whatever's available cheap, they're all great.