Lock for bike rack

grenw
grenw Posts: 803
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Just bought a tow bar mounted rack with the aim of travelling more with the bikes - a trip to the south of France including Ventoux is booked in for later in the summer.

Now the rack has locks built in to the frame clamps but I don't really trust them with a few grand worth of our pride and joys (and Pedalcover demand an extra lock on the rack). I've got a big chain lock but that'll probably damage the frames over a long journey even with some pipe lagging protection. I've also got a Kryptonite 2m cable does that sound like the best option or should I be looking at another type of lock?

It's this sort of thing http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-kryp ... bike-lock/

The only time they will really be left alone is on the ferry but still don't want to take any chances.

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I'd suggest just using your chainlock when the car is parked and remove while driving. The cable in the link is better than nothing but can be cut fairly easily. And don't leave your bikes on the car overnight at the hotel. Bring them in your room or if they provide a safe storage use that.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Good point on the chain when not driving. Not thought of that. Might use that when stopped and unattended (probably just the ferry) and the cable the rest of the time.

No issues with accommodation. We have a gite with plenty of storage.