First time at FoD using my new Gimbal/GoPro setup, thoughts?

sprinter2012
sprinter2012 Posts: 88
edited May 2018 in Your pics and vids
Had my first trip to FoD yesterday, spent all day on the uplift riding a variety of trails, also got my new gimbal setup out after lunch once I'd familiarised myself with the trails.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the footage, particularly with regards to the angle/viewpoint, does the gimbal make the trail look too boring? Am I showing enough bike/too much bike? etc.

Anyway video below so enjoy! (and make sure to watch in 1440p)

LVDGjcZ.jpg
Subscribe on YouTube or follow on Instagram

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited May 2018
    Nice video. The gimbal keeps the camera nice and steady.

The problem with rider-mounted camera shots is that they are in the same plane as the bike/rider and everything looks flat. To get the impression of how steep or undulating the ground is you need to get some 3rd person footage as well and edit it in to final cut.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Nice video. The gimbal keeps the camera nice and steady.

The problem with rider-mounted camera shots is that they are in the same plane as the bike/rider and everything looks flat. To get the impression of how steep or undulating the ground is you need to get some 3rd prison footage as well and edit it in to final cut.

Yer I get what you mean about it looking flat, which is why it's important to get the right amount of handlebar showing so you can see what the bike is doing.

I also stopped filming Superview because of that, the way it adds in more vertical pixels and squashes it down really flattens out the terrain even more and makes even sizeable jumps look half their actual height.

It's also another reason I sold my Hero6 and went back to a Hero4, because the sound is so much clearer you can also 'hear' what the bike is doing, which helps your brain work out what it should feel like.
    Subscribe on YouTube or follow on Instagram