Spacer confusion with 11 speed hub and 10 speed cassette

cblake843
cblake843 Posts: 27
edited May 2018 in Workshop
So as per the title I'm puzzled with my fitted 10 speed cassette on a 11 speed hub . Installation instructions indicated I needed spacers 1.0 and 1.85 , fitted it with these and got all sorts of problems. Gears slipping ,chain going off the large cog , couldn't get into 11 sprocket etc.

Took the spacers off this morning and after some adjustments it's working fine! Don't understand what's going on any ideas?

Comments

• Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    That's the problem of your derailleur not cassette. You need to tune your RD
    You probably never changed the limiter screws so it could move that far right(looking from the rear of the bike).
    If you are using campy, no spacer is required.
  • cblake843
    Thanks for the reply , with the spacers I had the high end limit screw completely undone (for small sprocket alignment) and the barrel adjuster loose as allowable without redoing the cable. Only then would it shift to the 10th smallest sprocket
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,144
    which make of hub?
    which make/model cassette?

correct number/size of spacers depends on both
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cblake843
    sungod wrote:
    which make of hub?
    which make/model cassette?

correct number/size of spacers depends on both

No idea on the hub , it's 11 speed on Mavic askium disc one wheels and the cassette is tiagra 10 speed.

I read in several places I needed 1.0 and 1.85 spacers but clearly didn't :-(
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Tiagra 10 speed doesn’t need the 1.0 spacer, it’s built in. Any other Shimano 10 speed needs it
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,144
    ^^^this
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cblake843
    keef66 wrote:
    Tiagra 10 speed doesn’t need the 1.0 spacer, it’s built in. Any other Shimano 10 speed needs it

Thanks so all I need is the 1.85. I'll give it a go tomorrow
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Hanger may need aligning.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D