Trek 1.2 (2010) - upgrade or replace?

mrobbie
mrobbie Posts: 64
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
I’ve had my Trek 1.2 alpha since early 2011, its the 2010 model (Sora tripple) and its now at the stage where it requires frequent adjustments to gearing etc. Its service in February included a new chain, tyres and all cables and has been back for a checkover after a few long rides to adjust for cable stretch etc

I found myself looking at a Trek Emonda 6 (£2250, less £200 trade in) as after 7 years a change felt right. However, I’ve found myself back at the question; upgrade what I’ve got or change?

Lots of posts I’ve read about people upgrading new bikes, or swapping 105 to Ultegra which seemed to offer minimal gain, but nothing about upgrading an “old” frame.

I had looked at Shimano RS500 (£400) or RS700 (£500) wheelset and either 105 5800 (£369) or Ultegra 6800 (£465) groupset which would come in around half the cost of the new carbon bike with Ultegra 8000.

Thoughts?
Quite addicted to cycling now....

Comments

• I personally wouldn't be £769-965 on a bike frame that is 7 years old.

Whilst the new bikes you have been looking at would cost twice as much I think after 7 years updates in frames would be worth it and after so long with the same bike then I'd find it easy to justify a new one anyway. Plus you if you buy a new bike then you could always keep the current one as a winter training bike / pub bike.

What do you want from the new bike and do you have a budget if you choose to go down the new route?

For something light, quick and with a race geometry you have the Giant TCR Advanced 2 which is £1450. For something more endurance based then there's the Giant Defy Advanced 2 which is £1699.

TCR - Rim Brakes, Race Geometry, Shimano 105, 11-28 cassette.
    Defy, Disc Brakes, Endurance Geometry, Shimano 105. 11-32 cassette.

Only using Giant as an example as been looking at these myself recently.
  • Another suggestion depending on what size bike you need is the Cannondale Caad12 Ultegra Disc.

https://www.jejamescycles.com/cannondale-caad12-disc-ult-road-bike.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7rXBRD9ARIsABfBl811pq3xFb0Yl6YtC8FEEZfK-X6r5Y631Jcb09j5SAwhlYlFi5NxjPMaAnCuEALw_wcB

This appears to be a lot of bike for the money, highly regarded alloy frame and Ultegra groupset with discs.

Only availble in a size 56/58 though.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It depends what you want from a new bike and the relative costs. Always weigh up a replacement v cost to upgrade components, and how much you like the bike.

I have a trek 1.5 and realised I wanted hydraulic disc brakes and the ability to fit wider tyres to go off road sometimes in the summer. Due to that I bought a 2016 diverge comp dsw. While not as light I much prefer it on road and off.

On the other hand my 1990’s xc hardtail mountain bike is still going fine through forests and up into the mountains abroad where it is kept at a relatives house nearby. It has had new tyres, cables, chain, cassette , brakes and shifters over the years but no big single expense. If it did it would likely be replaced.
  • mrobbie
    Thanks for the input. The bike would be for longer weekend rides >70 kms and wouldn’t be a commuter bike

I’d thought Carbon to reduce weight, but after some reading it’s not as significant as the price would suggest (and a few less take away dinners would get the same results!)

Budget wise I’d like to stick to around the £2000 mark, certainly below £2500
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    edited May 2018
    mrobbie wrote:
    Thanks for the input. The bike would be for longer weekend rides >70 kms and wouldn’t be a commuter bike

I’d thought Carbon to reduce weight, but after some reading it’s not as significant as the price would suggest (and a few less take away dinners would get the same results!)

Budget wise I’d like to stick to around the £2000 mark, certainly below £2500

Carbon its not only about weight, but for comfort and stiffness too. In your case your best bet its a new bike, even 2nd hand carbon with at least 105, and on your money you have plenty options.
  • mrobbie
    Another suggestion depending on what size bike you need is the Cannondale Caad12 Ultegra Disc.

https://www.jejamescycles.com/cannondale-caad12-disc-ult-road-bike.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7rXBRD9ARIsABfBl811pq3xFb0Yl6YtC8FEEZfK-X6r5Y631Jcb09j5SAwhlYlFi5NxjPMaAnCuEALw_wcB

This appears to be a lot of bike for the money, highly regarded alloy frame and Ultegra groupset with discs.

...I’m a 56cm!

More of a racing bike than endurance?
  • mrobbie wrote:
    Another suggestion depending on what size bike you need is the Cannondale Caad12 Ultegra Disc.

...I’m a 56cm!

More of a racing bike than endurance?

Very much a racing bike.

If you were interested in a Cannondale then their endurance model is the Synapse.

Posted the CAAD12 as it's a damn good price and you hadn't said the type of bike you were looking for.

Looking for more of an endurance bike then?

If so then how about this?

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/giant_defy_advanced_2_2018-ID_73173?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl4OjydTx2gIVIzHTCh30cQM3EAEYASABEgItnvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • mrobbie
    Very much a racing bike.

Damn shame - that CAAD12 in green looked stunning and I almost pulled the trigger on it earlier on looks alone!

Synapse 105 Carbon looks good @ £1199 or £1699 disc...
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638
    PM me if you want a buyer for your trek.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I was chatting yo MF about this and he says n+1 and tge above CAAD.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Depending on how you're set up and flexibility is there is no reason you can't ride a race bike.

Maybe I'm fortunate but I ride both my bikes slammed right to the headtube and have never had an issue with back pain, but I'm still quite young (I think!)

The old 1.2 in 56 had a 17cm headtube which is leaning slightly over to endurance geometry and I think the caad is likely to be between 15-16cm to give you an idea. Even with a 1cm spacer that is still pretty good.
  • mrobbie
    mrobbie wrote:
    Very much a racing bike.

Damn shame - that CAAD12 in green looked stunning and I almost pulled the trigger on it earlier on looks alone!

...just had a fitting on a Synapse Carbon 105 disc and felt incredibly comfortable in comparison to my Trek - more upright, less of a stretch, arms more bent at elbow, shifters more within reach. Nice bike.
  • yiannism
    Is that really important to have a race bike if you dont race?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    mrobbie wrote:
    mrobbie wrote:
    Very much a racing bike.

...just had a fitting on a Synapse Carbon 105 disc and felt incredibly comfortable in comparison to my Trek - more upright, less of a stretch, arms more bent at elbow, shifters more within reach. Nice bike.

That sounds better, my 1.5 had too much drop and reach for me. It meant when buying the bike that replaced it I had a much better idea of what I was looking for. Now I ride in the drops, hoods and bar as needed with no problems. Before the drops were almost impossible to ride in comfortably.

My current road bike has BR785 hydraulic disc brakes which work very well and the 11-32 cassette gives a good range of gears. I found due to the brakes I am now faster downhill with no real effort.
  • mrobbie
    Went with the Synapse Carbon 105 (without disc brakes but with a May bank holiday extra 10% saving!) as felt the £600 difference between the 2 just for brakes didn’t stack up enough for me. From what I read, some of that would be better spent on a wheel set to shed a bit of weight

Can’t wait to get it later this week

cannondale-synapse-105-2018-road-bike.jpg
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Seriously excellent choice and I love that colourway.
  • yiannism
    mrobbie wrote:
    Went with the Synapse Carbon 105 (without disc brakes but with a May bank holiday extra 10% saving!) as felt the £600 difference between the 2 just for brakes didn’t stack up enough for me. From what I read, some of that would be better spent on a wheel set to shed a bit of weight

Can’t wait to get it later this week

cannondale-synapse-105-2018-road-bike.jpg

Great choice, it was on my short list before decide to go on infinito CV. Have a fun.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    don't worry about changing the wheels but do change the tyres or you will hate your new bike. Assuming it has the luganos in the photo.
  • mrobbie
    I had planned to swap them for the Continental GP4000 tyres I put on the Trek as they felt great
  • Nice, well that was certainly a quick decision.

If you don't mind me asking how much did it set you back then?

I've got a Cannondale CaadX (Cyclocross bike) and love it. Wouldn't be against having something like the synapse myself, a friend has one and it looks really good.

That colourway is awesome too, fine choice.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    MF put down his Pastis long enough to say that he liked your new bike and that it was a billion times better than any Trek, ever,
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrobbie
    Nice, well that was certainly a quick decision.

If you don't mind me asking how much did it set you back then?

I've got a Cannondale CaadX (Cyclocross bike) and love it. Wouldn't be against having something like the synapse myself, a friend has one and it looks really good.

That colourway is awesome too, fine choice.

I hate dragging out an inevitable decision, and the search coincided with my birthday

The bike is available at a few places £1199 but found somewhere with a bank holiday additional 10% off everything so £1079.

When I saw that price, the disc version at £1699 didn’t make sense to me. I’m delighted with that price - from what I was looking to spend to upgrade, I’ve got a new bike ready to go
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    2007 I had a Trek 1.5 Alpha that was originally Shimano Tiagra 9 speed. I rebuilt it with Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels (no advantage over the Bontragers and just looked nicer) and SRAM Rival and Pro bars. That bike is still going strong.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.