No rim tape fitted to my new wheels, can I use electrical?

pinchez
pinchez Posts: 76
edited May 2018 in Workshop
My Prime RP-50 Carbon Disc Wheels arrived today, was hoping to put them on tonight ready for an epic ride in the morning but they’ve not put any rim tape on :(

Going to be using my 28mm Vittoria Corsa Control G+ and tubes off the wheels It already has on, will electrical tape be ok? or should I wait and get some proper tape?

This is just my luck, at least it’s not as bad as when Canyon sent me a new bike minus tyres, tubes and skewers!!!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've done it in the past. A couple of wraps. Never a problem with it
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Use proper rim tape. There is a reason why it exists.if it a tubeless rim use tubeless tape. There is a reason why that exists too.

You can bodge most things and electrical tape as rim tape is definitely a bodge.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pinchez
    pinchez Posts: 76
    Think I’ll do it properly and get some rim tape then, thanks :)
  • Why don’t you just use the rim tape from your old wheels until you can buy some new tape?
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Do the wheels even require rim tape? Some modern ones don't if the tracks are smooth and sealed. But if they do, don't use electrical tape. It works for a bit, but the high pressure can push through it eventually. Rim tape is thicker and stronger.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Electrical tape is perfect for the purpose. MF has used it for years on loads of wheels and it works perfectly.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.