Best Budget Smart Trainer

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting an entry level smart trainer for zswift or sufferfest and I can't decide between the following two

1. Tacx Flow T2240 Smart Turbo Trainer (£190 from decathalon)
2. Elite Novo Smart Turbo Trainer (£180 from halfrods- exclusive was £270)

Links-
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-t ... bestseller
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/flow-smart- ... 45488.html

Any help would be great.
Alex

Comments

  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    T2240, I have had mine for nearly 2 years without any problems. I got mine from Halfords was £200 but with the BC 10% discount paid £180 for it.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    T2240, I have had mine for nearly 2 years without any problems. I got mine from Halfords was £200 but with the BC 10% discount paid £180 for it.

    Thanks for the help! I don't have BC discount :cry:
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Have had both the 2240 is the better, more robust and tacx app for calibrating..imho its the better of those 2
  • Also own the Tacx. Just beware of its limitations in erg mode - you will need to change gear to achieve certain power levels at certain cadences. Once you understand that, it’s fine for general training unless you’re a serious racer.
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    Tacx flow here too for last 2 years and has been great. Works fine with Zwift for me, but if you put in big sprints, etc it is limited to 800W i think.
    Not been an issue for me so far as mainly do interval workouts on it, but might be issue if you do races with sprint finishes, etc..
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,468
    I got a Elite Turbo Muin Smart B+ and it's great.
    Currently available for £290 - so not the cheapest possible, but probably the cheapest direct-drive.
  • Htclee
    Htclee Posts: 33
    Elite Direto - £650
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I have the elite novo smart and wish I had gone for the Tacx or something nicer. It does the job though, not sure it's calibrated correctly and I couldn't find any way of doing it. So long as it's consistent it's fine for training, just not great for the ego. There are also about 3 different protocols on the connection page which all seem to be slightly different, doesn't inspire confidence. Not used it in a few months so maybe it's updated
  • haywire
    haywire Posts: 23
    HaydenM wrote:
    I have the elite novo smart and wish I had gone for the Tacx or something nicer. It does the job though, not sure it's calibrated correctly and I couldn't find any way of doing it. So long as it's consistent it's fine for training, just not great for the ego. There are also about 3 different protocols on the connection page which all seem to be slightly different, doesn't inspire confidence. Not used it in a few months so maybe it's updated
    Glad you said that because mine thinks I'm even more pathetic than I originally thought

    As you say, it does the job - I have nothing to compare it with though.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    haywire wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I have the elite novo smart and wish I had gone for the Tacx or something nicer. It does the job though, not sure it's calibrated correctly and I couldn't find any way of doing it. So long as it's consistent it's fine for training, just not great for the ego. There are also about 3 different protocols on the connection page which all seem to be slightly different, doesn't inspire confidence. Not used it in a few months so maybe it's updated
    Glad you said that because mine thinks I'm even more pathetic than I originally thought

    As you say, it does the job - I have nothing to compare it with though.

    It might be that the feel of the flywheel or something isn't very realistic to normal riding and it's making my pedal stroke weird and inefficient, or it's underreading, or it might be that my FTP is really low. Unfortunately I don't have a proper power meter and it's quite low on my list of things to blow £400 on (I'd love one, but I have a long list), strava's guess work on steep and long climbs with no real wind suggests my FTP should be 50w higher than the trainer says. Whatever the truth is, it does wonders for my climbing and leg strength which really helps with my riding style