Uploading rides to strava whilst abroad - wahoo

Rigga
Rigga Posts: 939
edited May 2018 in Road general
Off to Majorca on Sunday and will be using my wahoo bolt, so to upload my rides via the wahoo companion app do I need 4g or just the Bluetooth and location turned on?
Thanks in advance
Rigga

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    The app will take it from your wahoo via bluetooth and upload to strava either via 4g or wifi - which ever is on. You don't need to pair your wahoo directly to the wifi.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    OK Cheers for that, so I do need 4g or wifi then to actually get it on strava.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Rigga wrote:
    OK Cheers for that, so I do need 4g or wifi then to actually get it on strava.

yes, one or the other. Wahoo app needs to communicate with Strava.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Don't forget the 4G connection will come from your monthly data allowance on your mobile contract so no need to worry about high bills when away.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    As stated, all you need is for the Bolt to be paired to your phone (Bluetooth) and for your phone to have some kind of internet connection (4G or WiFi, or even 3G). When you stop and save your workout it will automatically send it to Strava if you have the Wahoo and Strava accounts paired.

If you want to sync new routes or Strava segments to your Bolt, then you need to connect the Bolt to WiFi directly. However you can do this by making your phone a WiFi hotspot and connect the Bolt to this (I have done this a couple of times when I was out and realised I didn’t have the route I wanted synced to the Bolt).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere