Cube Agree C62 2018

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Anybody have any thoughts experience of cube bikes in particular the one below. We have a slightly different scheme here at work - which means I get the bike below for around £2k.

Previous bikes have been pinarello and kuota - not quite if the paint is up to that standard - although I haven't seen it in the flesh.

https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/road/ ... nred-2018/

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My son, who teaches Design Technology, is obsessed with the way things look and feel, often at the expense of function. Based entirely on cosmetic appearance, he's been hankering after a carbon Cube road bike since we did some browsing in the bike shop at the olympic velodrome.

After carefully steering him away from a dubious mogrel Ebay thing, a sale bike too large for him, and a brief flirtation with disc brakes, he's just bought a rim braked, Ultegra driven Attain GTC. He says it's the most beautiful thing he's ever seen, and that's in earshot of his girlfriend. It does look lovely.

Can't tell you how it rides; he's not let me have a go on it yet...
  • kingrollo
    keef66 wrote:
    My son, who teaches Design Technology, is obsessed with the way things look and feel, often at the expense of function. Based entirely on cosmetic appearance, he's been hankering after a carbon Cube road bike since we did some browsing in the bike shop at the olympic velodrome.

After carefully steering him away from a dubious mogrel Ebay thing, a sale bike too large for him, and a brief flirtation with disc brakes, he's just bought a rim braked, Ultegra driven Attain GTC. He says it's the most beautiful thing he's ever seen, and that's in earshot of his girlfriend. It does look lovely.

Can't tell you how it rides; he's not let me have a go on it yet...

Cheers
    It ticks a lot boxes for me - the geomtrey, and di 2 is an upgrade on my kuota - one the reviews say it has understated looks (a phrase I have never quite understood) , I have some deep section wheels to go on it , which will improve the looks - its under 7.5kg - just wish it said colnago on the side ....but then it would probably be out of my budget...
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    For 2k you are in used c59 frame world (1,500) so can transfer groupset and ride.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    have that exact model as a team bike this year.

coming from a 2012 pinarello rokh ultegra di2.

this bike fits me better, a bit lighter, seems stiffer in the right place and def more compliant in the others that give you comfort.

hard to say anything without getting into mumbo jumbo marketing territory, but suffice to say i like it more than the pina.

BCwz9O5.jpg

anything specific i can answer?

fyi im 6ft2 and riding the size 58, reach is a little short with the 110cm stem so i might try a 120.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes. Great bike. Ridden mine for over a year now (it's an older model year but the geo is identical) and it's perfect. Aggressive enough (remove all the spacers), comfortable, quick enough to turn in but stable. Mine is the disc model so has the thru' axles - it's certainly stiff enough laterally. Plenty of space for 28s (I run Michelin Pro 4 Endurance).

I'm 6'4" and run a 60cm with a slightly shorter (90mm) stem as I have long legs and shorter torso. This works very well indeed for me and the shop sorted it as part of the delivery "fit".
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • kingrollo
    eddiefiola wrote:
    have that exact model as a team bike this year.

coming from a 2012 pinarello rokh ultegra di2.

this bike fits me better, a bit lighter, seems stiffer in the right place and def more compliant in the others that give you comfort.

hard to say anything without getting into mumbo jumbo marketing territory, but suffice to say i like it more than the pina.

BCwz9O5.jpg

anything specific i can answer?

fyi im 6ft2 and riding the size 58, reach is a little short with the 110cm stem so i might try a 120.

Are those the stock wheels/tyres ?

It looks fab in that picture - but a few of the reviews mention it has understated looks - I do like flashy Italian paint jobs - but that either means by another kuota (which has been a great bike - but is it shelling out £2.5k for nothing!!! ?)

Do you know where I can view one in the flesh (midlands area?)
  • eddiefiola
    no those are farsports carbon wheels, it comes with Fulcrum alu wheels.

the *paint* job is actually bare Carbon with lacquer, so you see that Carbon weave look in the sun, and the red is mainly stickers as far as i can tell.

im in germany so no idea about seeing them in the UK, but any Cube dealer should have one. https://www.cube.eu/uk/dealer-search/
  • kingrollo
    Is possible to achieve a upright sportive position on this bike ? (without putting loads of spacers under the bar)

I currently ride a kuota kharma - which I find very comfy - it has a 535 top tube and a 145 head tube. The 53 cube has a 538 tt and 140 ht -
    Cube however for my height (5ft 8) recommend a 56 - 560tt and 170 ht. I have found lots of comments on the web saying that cubes come up small and you should size up ?

I can get a short test ride - but not sure that will help much....any thoughts ?
  • eddiefiola
    i think regarding geometry you have to try for yourself, any decent shop will spend some time with you and adjust for a test ride.

i had spacers under mine and have removed all now to the point where its just the cone underneath but then im trying to get as aero as poss being an unaero shape myself.

i think the comment about sizing up just relates to how cube number their sizes compared to others, ive heard the same but my Pina was a 57 and the Cube a 58 but geo is different so what does the number matter.

def grab a test ride.
  • kingrollo
    Can anybody direct me to a link which fits your height to bike (for cube) - I was sure I looked last week and found for 5ft 8 cube were recommending a 56 - but can't seem to find the link now
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Can anybody direct me to a link which fits your height to bike (for cube) - I was sure I looked last week and found for 5ft 8 cube were recommending a 56 - but can't seem to find the link now
    fwiw I'm 5'7" and ride a 53 Cube Attain. I do have short legs though - 28" inside.
  • keef66
    When son was buying his there seemed to be conflicting size charts. He's 5'9" but with short legs / long torso. One chart said 56 and the other put him at the top end of 53.

In the end he got the 53. Bike shop confirmed it was the right size for him when he picked it up, and it seems to fit him perfectly. If he ever wants to get longer and lower he can fit a longer stem
  • kingrollo
    keef66 wrote:
    When son was buying his there seemed to be conflicting size charts. He's 5'9" but with short legs / long torso. One chart said 56 and the other put him at the top end of 53.

In the end he got the 53. Bike shop confirmed it was the right size for him when he picked it up, and it seems to fit him perfectly. If he ever wants to get longer and lower he can fit a longer stem

Evans have said 56 for a 5ft 8 - but they also said this would be better as I favour a slightly more upright position ? - I would have thought a longer tt gives you a lower position ? - although the HT on the 56 is 170

Sizing seems a bit iffy

53 - TT = 538

56 TT = 560 (thats quite a jump for the next size up )
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,029
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/road/ ... nred-2018/

The 56 has just 7mm more reach and 19mm more stack than the 53.

That's 1mm more reach and 37mm less stack than my 58 Attain, which fits me well with ~83cm cycling inseam and 178cm height.

Seen a lovely white Agree a few times this week, with a tagalong trailing behind it.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • keef66
    Longer top tube offset by taller head tube / less seatpost so the saddle to bar drop is smaller.

Best way is to find a shop with both sizes and actually sit on them to see which feels best. When I bought my Racelight Tk the shop instinctively suggested a 54 based on my height, but when they sat me on it on a turbo my longer legs / short torso meant it felt too much of a stretch. (that frame is relatively long and low by todays standards) So I ended up with a 51, but with the stem flipped to reduce the drop to the bars.
  • cneifion
    cneifion Posts: 53
    I bought a Agree C62 Disc 2017 last month(big discount). The geometry of the 2018 models is the same. By my arithmetic the 56 has 29mm more stack than the 53 - 573 vs 544.
    I am 5ft 7 with 31 inch inseam (with shoes on) and went for a 53. I did see a Cube size chart somewhere that indicated that 53 was right for my height. I was looking for a sportive/endurance position and that is what this gives. Would have thought that a 56 would be a bit stretched out for a 5ft 8 rider.
    Lovely looking bike btw. I like understated looks. Nice ride, still getting used to it but seems a bit sharper handling than my Giant Defy but not at all twitchy.
  • kingrollo
    keef66 wrote:
    Longer top tube offset by taller head tube / less seatpost so the saddle to bar drop is smaller.

Best way is to find a shop with both sizes and actually sit on them to see which feels best. When I bought my Racelight Tk the shop instinctively suggested a 54 based on my height, but when they sat me on it on a turbo my longer legs / short torso meant it felt too much of a stretch. (that frame is relatively long and low by todays standards) So I ended up with a 51, but with the stem flipped to reduce the drop to the bars.

I don't think it is low 140 or 170 HT - I have never had a bike with a tt anywhere near 560 !