GT Grade Headset Bearings

kingofthetailwind
kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
edited May 2018 in Workshop
I have an alloy GT Grade that I'm trying to change the headset bearings on.

The current bearings are caged bearings pressed into the headtube. I spoke to GT's UK distributor and they have given me these product codes for the replacement bearings:

ACB418H7B-DBA (https://www.reveloutdoors.co.uk/Cannond ... il/3-43473)
ACB468H7-DHA (https://www.reveloutdoors.co.uk/Cannond ... il/3-43604)

Can this be right - changing caged bearings for sealed ACB bearings? Surely the headtube is designed for the caged ones to be pressed in?

If it is caged ones I need, is there a standard size for 1 1/8 -1 1/4" tapered headsets?

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Need more info. What model/year is your GT Grade. Pics of current headset upper/lower and fork bearing race would be helpful. Posting a link to specs and photo from GT would also be helpful.
  • pssyche
    pssyche Posts: 10
    I was just cleaning/regreasing mine 2015 105 model and it definitely has sealed bearings, looks like they have been cutting corners on later models, latest 105 even has square-taper crank. But I think frames and forks are the same regardless the kit, sou you should be able to replace caged bearings with the one they suggested.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Caged bearings are basic ball bearings put in a crappy cage that will rust and die to make assembly easier. You can either just use balls the right size (use grease to hold them while you assemble), or cartridge bearings the right size.

I'd find the equivalent SKF or another decent make from a bearing supplier. Likely to be cheaper and better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pssyche wrote:
    I was just cleaning/re-greasing mine 2015 105 model and it definitely has sealed bearings, looks like they have been cutting corners on later models, latest 105 even has square-taper crank. But I think frames and forks are the same regardless the kit, sou you should be able to replace caged bearings with the one they suggested.

I was wrong, the upper bearing is sealed. It's only the lower bearing that is caged.

Guess I'll just try the ones the distributor recommended. pssyche, did you notice if your's were pressed in or just set in while you were cleaning?
  • pssyche
    pssyche Posts: 10
    They were just set in, I took them out very easily.